unable to activate the new iPhone 16 pro Max

cptrico
cptrico Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited September 26 in Internet

Here is an interesting thing. I just received my iPhone 16 Pro Max. Since Fizz doesn't support esim, we do not have the option to transfer it from the previous phone. The only options available are "Transfert from a nearby phone" and "Scan a QR-Code".

I contacted support and they told me that Apple needs to support this, when during the setup it is clearly Fizz that needs to provide us with a QR code or the details to activate the sim on the new phone.

I was also surprised to have my last answer "Have a nice day" without further support.

If Fizz is selling the new iPhone and the agents are not trained to set up the new phone… why is there a support line? it has been 7 hours now… my old phone and my new phone cannot work!

Any support would be greatly appreciated… since Fizz is not cooperating….

Best Answer

Answers

• SweetFizz
    SweetFizz Posts: 68 ✭✭

maybe Apple could help you, since its Apple device to Apple device?

• cptrico

Yeah, I contacted Apple. the issues is the phone carrier. Since they are not support esim yet, they need to provide clear instructions on activating the new device.

• wenhan
    wenhan Posts: 889 ✭✭
    edited September 25

two people I know got iphone 16 and set it up fine. They are both with Fizz. Both people used different methods. one did restore from a back up on their mac and the other restored from icloud. if you have your old phone, you can transfer from near by phone. if you don't have a backup or the old phone, then you can only set it up as a new phone…

you might have to skip the initial transfer prompt to get to both options. After that, just plug your physical fizz sim into the phone as all iphone 16 for canada has a physical sim tray.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/new-iphone-16-today-how-to-easily-transfer-everything-from-your-old-iphone/

• cptrico

This is completely ridiculous. I chatted with Fizz and Apple at the same time. Fizz says that Apple needs to provide a QR code for activation. This is false as stipulated by Apple, Fizz is responsible.

• wenhan

Can you please specify what you mean by "activate"?

setting up the phone or transferring your old phone data to the new phone does not require a network provider at all. Follow the instructions in my previous post and see which one applies to you.

getting cellular signal on an iphone 16 purchased for any country besides the US also simply requires you put the physical sim card into the sim card tray….

• cptrico

That is exactly what I thought. I configured my new phone… put the sim card into it… but now the iPhone 16 Pro Max only wants to activate the cellular using esim. Fizz doesn't support it and Fizz doesn't want to provide a QR Code to continue the process.

• wenhan

try backing up your old phone to your computer then reset your new iphone and do restore from backup on PC/mac to set it up. That will copy over all of the settings you had in the previous phone. Assuming that phone worked with Fizz before, all the settings will be copied over.

• wenhan

but even on apple's own website (https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iph3f11fba92/ios), it shouldn't ask you to use esim when you have a physical sim..

• Drividor
    Drividor Posts: 380 ✭✭

It's one of the millions reasons that i don't have a iphone!🤪

• cptrico

useless comment

• cptrico

This is a small update for all. Apple had to reset the phone, which could only work in-store. If anyone has an issue like this, go to an Apple store and they will resolve the issue.

• wenhan

well glad you were able to get it working. Also Apple 🤦‍♂️

This discussion has been closed.