When is RCS support for iPhone coming to Fizz?

akaris
akaris Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited September 26 in My Mobile

iOS 18 is pretty much final and will be released this month. One of the big features is RCS support for iOS, allowing iPhones to send and receive rich text messages to and from Android phones.

Many Canadian carriers already support it.

When is RCS support for iPhone coming to Fizz?

Best Answer

• akaris
    Answer ✓

Here's Fizz's answer to my official complaint:

"The situation was discussed with our specialized departments and steps are being taken towards implementing the RCS (Rich Communication Services) feature for iPhone users whose devices have the iOS 18 version or higher.

However, as this feature is still under development and not officially announced at Fizz, we are unable to provide an estimated time of when the RCS option will be available at Fizz.

Given that this is an optimized messaging feature as opposed to the traditional way of texting and that it requires Internet access through mobile data or wi-fi connection, the implementation process may encompass a certain degree of complexity, for instance regarding the conventions with the partner networks for the Internet access via mobile data in areas not covered by the Fizz network.

When the RCS becomes available for iPhones users, we will make sure to update this information on our website, so that the customers could be advised.

At the same time, the fact that a certain provider proposes certain features, does not mean that every operator has to offer them. Each provider has their own services and products that are made available to the public according to their procedures and network characteristics at a certain moment."

So I suppose it will become available "at some point", which is a good news. The timeframe is a good question… Fizz is not exactly the carrier that moves the fastest. I'm hoping "before the end of the year".

Answers

• Oli 64JKA
    Oli 64JKA Posts: 4,101 ✭✭

We dont know, my guess is that they will release it at the same time iOS 18 get out

• Mark123_2024
    Mark123_2024 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭

There no new announcements for the moment.

• wenhan
    wenhan Posts: 915 ✭✭

rcs is available on android with fizz so guessing once apple release ios 18.

• G225 code IRSGE
    G225 code IRSGE Posts: 1,966 ✭✭

It is not a third-party company that takes care of texting, transcoding etc. ?

• Gabriel94
    Gabriel94 Posts: 10 ✭✭

I would like to add this this is an extremely important feature, that I may consider having to port out without it being enabled soon. Being connected through RCS for my android friends is top priority.

• ZBenr
    ZBenr Posts: 29 ✭✭

The feature is still in beta, so maybe they will enable it after the official release. I imagine they will make an announcement about it here on the forum

• Gabriel94

Here's to hoping; the official release is on Monday.

• machino4
    machino4 Posts: 1 ✭✭

Any update on RCS support? iOS 18 is out but RCS not available with Fizz.

• Gabriel94

Not that I can tell, I'll prob port out this week. Sad news.

• fizznet
    fizznet Posts: 8 ✭✭

I just updated to the official release and the RCS option is not there. I don't know how long they have to keep clients if they don't activate this. This is a HUGE part of iOS 18.

• NeoGalael
    NeoGalael Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited September 16

Has anyone asked Fizz customer service about this?

• selfy2000
    selfy2000 Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited September 16

I’ve just updated to iOS 18. Not only is RCS not there, MMS is now broken. I can’t send group MMS any more.

• kazuki825
    kazuki825 Posts: 3
    iOS 18 has been officially released as of today but I’m still not seeing RCS messaging for iPhone. I asked Fizz and they said once iOS 18 is released but nothing’s happened yet so I’m hoping that it’ll be sometime this week or maybe this year which isn’t that far of a stretch lol I’m still waiting for 5G to be enabled in Calgary. :#
  • fizznet
    fizznet Posts: 8 ✭✭

I asked support and they "do not have any info on future product updates".

So they were not much help.

• Oli 64JKA

Hopefully it will be soon! It might take a while for 5g!

• StefHerb
    StefHerb Posts: 6
    Hi FIZZ, it looks like we are a lot to wait far any info about IOS 18 and RCS - Could you say anything ? ... Please ?
  • StefHerb
    Any chance to have some news about that FIZZ?
  • StefHerb
    We need some news about that feature, or should I change my provider?
  • Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Andrei_ref_R7VK1 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭

If you do a simple search in the Internet about RCS for iPhones you will see that the issue is happening globally. There are many other issues with iOS 18 currently.

So "blaming" Fizz is too early. 🍏 needs to fix their issues first.

• akaris

I understand what you're saying, but it's 100% unacceptable that we have no information or timeline whatsoever from Fizz about this feature.

Bugs can happen.
    Delays can happen.
    Anything can happen.

But keeping your customers in the dark about such an important feature is irresponsible from their part, in my opinion.

• wenhan
    wenhan Posts: 915 ✭✭

I don't think you understand how RCS on iphone works. It needs work from both Apple and the network provider to get it working. Google's own service Google Fi doesn't even have RCS working for iphone and they are the ones who were pushing for iphone to adopt RCS in the first place. For things that require collaboration from other parties, it's hard to put forth a timeline. Also, you say this is such an important feature but for the last 4 years or so iphone doesnt have RCS while Android had it so exactly how important is the feature then?

• akaris
    edited September 24

As I said, the most important point to me, is to inform us. "We don't know" cannot be an answer here.

Is RCS today perfect? No. But as far as I know, it is currently supported on many Canadian carriers.

Do I absolutely need it TODAY? Of course not.
    What I need today, is to know WHEN is it going to be implemented at Fizz. And then customers can make a decision based on that.

• BradDoell
    BradDoell Posts: 160 ✭✭
    edited September 24

Hi @akaris

As an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator ) Fizz is at the mercy of their MNO (mobile network operators) who o troll the feature and have not yet made RCS available to their MVNO. And why would the MNO be in any hurry? Customers such as yourself may well stay with their MNO or switch back to get this feature.

I suspect that in Quebec, other carriers are MNOs and therefore own the physical network infrastructure (eg. cell towers) or wireless spectrum with which it provides services to customers in Quebec and are therefore able to offer RCS.

In this regard, I think “I don’t know” is a perfectly acceptable answer as Fizz’s MNO may be giving that exact answer to Fizz when they

Cheers,

Brad

• akaris
    edited September 24

I’m well aware of this… but their MNO is also their parent company.

I’m glad everyone here’s happy with radio silence. I guess I’m the impatient type. Again, all I’m asking for, is that they give us some sort of information about it.

Are they working on it?

Is it even planned?

You know, basic stuff. Not asking for the date and time of the feature’s availability.

I’ll just wait. Peace!

• BradDoell
    BradDoell Posts: 160 ✭✭

I am in Winnipeg, so I am at the mercy of the MNO :-(

• Gabriel94

This is extremely frustrating

• Keegan L.
    Keegan L. Posts: 1 ✭✭

I sent a formal complaint to Fizz about RCS not being provided.

They confirmed "I'm writing you regarding your reply about the new feature from iOS 18. Unfortunately, this new feature is not yet activated at Fizz…"

Carrier information confirms that it is only supporting SMS at the moment.

Anyone else have any other ideas on how to pressure Fizz to get RCS?

• Gabriel94

I just sent them an email, in case they’re not seeing the forums/reddot

• kazuki825
    kazuki825 Posts: 3
    > @OlivierRobert said:
    > Hopefully it will be soon! It might take a while for 5g!

RCS messaging doesn't require 5G to work but I do hope they launch 5G soon. It's been a bit too long since they said they would!
  • Oli 64JKA

Yes I know but I dont know why they didnt released RCS yet!!

• Gabriel94

At the same time, the fact that a certain provider proposes certain features, does not mean that every operator has to offer them. Each provider has their own services and products that are made available to the public according to their procedures and network characteristics at a certain moment.

lmao this is like saying we don't have to offer you texting

• Oli 64JKA

Gabriel94

Yea I agree. Its new but RCS as become a basic feature. So I dont know why anyone wouldn't offert it.

• Oli 64JKA

akaris

Thanks for letting us know!

• akaris

@OlivierRobert @Gabriel94

RCS is a very desirable feature and it touches other spheres than "just another cool phone feature". I think it's a step in the right direction to close the polarizing gap between iPhone and Android users. So I agree that at some point in a near future, it should be standard everywhere, on all carriers, especially in North America where it's pretty much 50/50 iPhones and Android (which isn't true on all continents/all parts of the world).

That being said, it's a brand new tech. I get it. They need time to implement it, there are roadblocks and challenges: all good, it doesn't have to be up and running tonight. I simply believe that we should know if it's coming to Fizz or not. And they're right: they could choose NOT to offer it — and it's fine too, but then again, we deserve to know that as well to make decisions based on our needs, opinions and values.

If I refer to their answer to my complaint, it seems to be under development and should become available one day, which are good news. But I'm not going to hold my breath about it 😂

• Drividor
    Drividor Posts: 445 ✭✭

With RCS, we don't have to pay for a SMS plan?

• Oli 64JKA

@akaris

I totally agree with you. Its more then that, sms stardard is old and rcs will greatly improve communication between android and iOS users!

• Oli 64JKA

@Drividor

In theory yes 99% of the time you wont need sms. If both user have rcs it will use wifi or your data. You will still be able to receive 2af because incoming text are free. So the only case you would need sms is if someone has an old phone that doesnt support rcs.

• BeakBird
    BeakBird Posts: 3,371 ✭✭

A lot still have old phones with no RCS support.

• Drividor

So it's why Fizz is not hurry to do that, they want us to use text plan to make money

• akaris

I would be surprised if an important % of customers canceled their SMS plan because of RCS. I would bet that having the ability to "Send as SMS" as a backup in case of loss of Internet connectivity is more important to most customers than saving $4.

Personally I'm not going to cancel my SMS option because of RCS, especially because I risk losing a great plan price if I modified my plan.

• Amine H. #583
    Amine H. #583 Posts: 157 ✭✭

https://support.apple.com/en-us/109526

• Drividor

But if you lose mobile internet i don't think you will be able to send sms...

• Oli 64JKA

I dont know, apparently they are working on it but there's no ETA

• akaris

SMS go through mobile network, but you don’t need to have internet connectivity to send or receive them.

Sometimes you’re somewhere you have voice reception but internet is ultra slow, then your phone will send it as an SMS instead.

• Drividor
    edited September 26

When my internet is to slow because of the reception, i miss calls and sms take long to send

• G225 code IRSGE
    G225 code IRSGE Posts: 1,966 ✭✭

Imessage is default with Iphone and only data for send and receive.

This discussion has been closed.