Does the Router position improves the WiFi range

propea
propea Posts: 197 ✭✭
edited March 10 in Internet

Hello, do I have to put the Router standing up (Vertical) for the best WiFi Range?

We always put it Horizontal because we don't have much space under the TV. Sometimes, the WiFi range is weird.

Best Answer

Answers

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    FizzyFizz JQMPM Posts: 6,613 ✭✭

As long as it's not inside a cabinet or behind a thick wall the vertical or horizontal position should not affect that much the range

• zipilgrim
    zipilgrim Posts: 114 ✭✭

The position as in how you orient the router will make no difference. The position as in where you place it will definitely make a difference. Higher place is just useful because it means it'll be above any potential obstacles. Walls (especially concrete) will weaken the signal the most.

• swatt
    swatt Posts: 4,439 ✭✭

Putting the router horizontal may cause overheating, meaning problems.

• kiraj
    kiraj Posts: 5 ✭✭

All of the above, plus 5GHz has a faster speed at shorter distances, whereas 2.4GHz is better for when you are further from the router.

• SuperFizzeur
    SuperFizzeur Posts: 3,767 ✭✭
    edited March 6

Hi. This is the best answer you can have here. I have worked in IT.

Normally, a router can send waves through material such as wood, gypsum, cardboard very well. So whether it is in a cabinet or closed in a cupboard changes nothing.

A router will have more trouble sending the waves through metal and as for concrete, the waves will not pass through the concrete.

As for positioning, it depends on the position of the antennas inside the router. But normally horizontally or vertically doesn't make any changes. If you have wireless coverage problems, the solution might be to buy wifi repeaters. You can also try a wifi 6 or 6e router in bridge mode, with the 160hz of a wifi6 or 6e router the coverage will be better.

Have a great day :)

It's been a pleasure to assist you today

• Pascal
    Pascal Posts: 7,434 ✭✭

@Whizz Apparently, Elena's answer is wrong. It would be nice to replace the best answer with another, because you can't leave someone with a wrong answer 🙂

• Pascal

What @SuperFizzeur said it’s true! Only material like metal or mirrors can affect the signals

• SuperFizzeur

@elena code xzi4t Yes i can, i have worked in IT industry.😅 im gonna repeat my answer:

Normally, a router can send waves through material such as wood, gypsum, cardboard very well. So whether it is in a cabinet or closed in a cupboard changes nothing.

A router will have more trouble sending the waves through metal and as for concrete, the waves will not pass through the concrete.

As for positioning, it depends on the position of the antennas inside the router. But normally horizontally or vertically doesn't make any changes. If you have wireless coverage problems, the solution might be to buy wifi repeaters. You can also try a wifi 6 or 6e router in bridge mode, with the 160hz of a wifi6 or 6e router the coverage will be better.

• SuperFizzeur
    edited March 9

@elena code xzi4t with a EMF meter and a Siglent spectrum analyzer you will see vertical and horizontal position makes no difference. Antenna in a hardware is long and small.

• elena code xzi4t
    elena code xzi4t Posts: 8,082 ✭✭
    edited March 9

Almost any material have an impact on the microwave, attenuating the signal and also fractioning it. For this reason, is creating reflecting waves. Moreover, working in IT doesn't make you an expert in everything touching IT, moreover, wave signal is more a telecommunication engineer field.

The antenna must be a proportion of lambda

• SuperFizzeur
    edited March 9

@elena code xzi4t I have worked with hardware spectrum analyzer, i have also deployed many mmwave network in my carreer and local network with router also. I have also installed XGS-PON fiber network in enterprise with mmwave antenna. I have at least 300 mmwave antenna installations done in my whole career, 1000-2000 approx. enterprise network with router done. So i know what i say. Thats not a student gonna tell me what i know, your answer is wrong. Sorry

• Pascal

That’s what he said is true! My brother in law work for « FTTH company » and he told me, I can not put my modem in my furniture cause it makes with mirrors! But if it’s made by wood, no problem, I can hide the modem inside the furniture

• SuperFizzeur

@elena code xzi4t buy a siglent spectrum analyzer and a emf meter you will see your answer is wrong.

• SuperFizzeur

@elena code xzi4t do you have deployed XGS-PON network with mmwave antenna in enterprise behind buildings to get the same provider and same IP with 4 buildings , with also 50 routers in the 1 of the building. Try to install 50 routers in the same building, you need to analyze the spectrums, and the wifi channels too. Too much channels can congestionate network.

• SuperFizzeur
    edited March 9

@elena code xzi4t Sorry but i know my answer, i dont talk about what i dont know.

• elena code xzi4t
    edited March 9

The word "Router" is normally associated with a machine that operates at layer 3 of the OSI model; it typically does not include a Wi-Fi component in its business model in your 50 AP installation you installed access points. However, in a home environment, a router is often associated with Wi-Fi functionality. In the business model, devices dedicated to providing Wi-Fi access are called Access Points (APs).

• elena code xzi4t
    edited March 9

Since you like the net***ar, from their guide

I believe they are saying the same thing as I did. Therefore, since you have a better understanding, you should reach out to them to have their guide modified. I stated the same thing, and you mentioned that I was incorrect.

@Whizz is up to you, I will not reply any more to this post

• SuperFizzeur
    edited March 9

Hi @propea

You can trust my answer, i have my Novell Certification, Qualcomm 5G Certification, Nokia Certification, and Cisco Certification.

• SuperFizzeur
    edited March 9

@elena code xzi4t thanks for your comment.

This discussion has been closed.