Smart TV wont connect to internet

Options
Glenn56
Glenn56 Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited January 13 in Break Room

I have a Samsung Smart TV that connects to my WiFi network but will not connect to the internet. I was able to connect to the internet through my cell phone hotspot so there must be some sort of setting in the router/modem or something with the ISP's settings. any suggestions?

Glenn

Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,094 ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Try to check if the tv got the right ip

i will also try to disable the band steering on the router

Wi-Fi band steering is a technology used to deploy dual Wi-Fi bands that allow compatible devices to primarily use the more powerful and less problematic 5 GHz band.

With the band steering function, only one Wi-Fi network name will be displayed. Each compatible device will automatically connect to its optimal frequency (2.4GHz or 5 GHz) to make the user experience seamless.

Modifying this option is possible thanks to the Fizz Wi-Fi app:

1. Choose ''My Wi-Fi''
    2. Go to the settings (gear wheel icon) 
    3. Activate/Deactivate the Band steering option 

The Fizz Wi-Fi app is available for free on: 

The Fizz Wi-Fi app is available free of charge in the Apple Store and Google Play Store.

You can also adjust band steering using Fizz Wi-Fi modem user interface:

1) Open a web browser on any device and navigate to: 192.168.0.1

2) Connect using the following information:

• Username: cusadmin
    • Password: xxxxxxxx (enter the new password you selected during initial configuration)

3) Navigate to to the following section to make any changes:

Wireless ->Advanced -> 2.4 Ghz or 5Ghz -> Band Steering (Disable)

You'll need your Wi-Fi network password. If you can't remember it, you'll need to recover it. 

How to recover my Wi-Fi password

• Glenn56
    Options

I'm able to connect to my WiFi network successfully, so band steering is not the issue! I just can't get to the internet.

• Jess_i88b6
    Options

Did you check the IP configuration in your smart TV?

• Code:8CE6H
    Code:8CE6H Posts: 8,162 ✭✭
    Options

Hello Glenn56,

Can you try connecting your TV with an RJ-45 cable to check?

• Glenn56
    Options

Works fine when I connect direct to the router/modem with Ethernet. Also works fine when I connect through my iPhone (Bell) hotspot.

• Jess_i88b6
    edited October 2023
    Options

Check on the modem if you block the device

Is the device far from the modem?

• swatt
    swatt Posts: 3,550 ✭✭
    Options

If you can, keep it connect direct with Ethernet cable. You will have the best speed and performance available.

• Code:8CE6H
    Code:8CE6H Posts: 8,162 ✭✭
    Options

That true swatt. This is the best configuration but it does not solve the problem.

• Ajaykumar
    Ajaykumar Posts: 91 ✭✭
    Options

I would suggest not to conect to the internet as my Samsung smart tv updated by itself and now there are issues with newer version. Cannot be reversed back to older version.

TV shuts down by itself

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,300 admin
    Options

Hello Glenn56,

Sorry to hear that you cannot connect your TV to WIFI.  We cannot troubleshoot the TV to see if all its functions are working properly, however, considering that the WIFI works for other devices, the TV receives internet while connected through an ethernet cable, and it can be connected to a personal hotspot, this may be a coverage issue of some sort. 
    Please feel free to reach out to our customer service representatives if the issue persists. Here is an FAQ on how to do so https://fizz.ca/en/support.

Have a good one!
    -Sergiu

• rcouineau
    rcouineau Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Glenn56,

Any progress? Exact same thing! Was working with Videotron, connects on Wifi but no internet. Works on hotspot but wired connection is physically not an option. Coverage is good.
  • Glenn56
    Options

No progress..... I gave up, sort of! I'm still thinking about it 😤

• Glenn56
    Options

it's set at 20mHz Channel 1..... no overlap!

• vefunnossupo
    Options
    I had a similar problem, but it was with LG 43UR78006LK TV. The situation was solved after I changed my router to a new TP-LINK Archer C50. After that the TV was connected from the first time.
  • math_rou
    math_rou Posts: 4
    Options
    try with a wire directly in the modem
  • Easygolucky
    Easygolucky Posts: 1,089 ✭✭
    Options

It's interesting that your Samsung Smart TV connects to the Wi-Fi network but not to the internet, yet it works fine with your cell phone hotspot. This does suggest that the issue might be related to the settings in your router/modem or something specific with your ISP's configuration. Here are a few suggestions that might help resolve this issue:

1. Restart Your Modem and Router: Sometimes, simply restarting your modem and router can resolve connectivity issues. Turn off your modem and router, wait for about a minute, and then turn them back on.
    2. Check for Firmware Updates: Make sure your router’s firmware is up to date. Outdated firmware can sometimes cause compatibility issues with newer devices.
    3. Verify MAC Address Filtering: If your router has MAC address filtering enabled, it could be preventing your TV from accessing the internet. Check the router settings to make sure your TV’s MAC address is not blocked.
    4. Change the DNS Settings on Your TV: Sometimes, changing the DNS settings on your TV can help. You can try setting it to a public DNS, like Google’s (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) or Cloudflare’s (1.1.1.1).
    5. Check IP Address Settings: Ensure your TV is set to obtain an IP address automatically. If it’s set to a static IP and the IP is in use by another device or not in the correct range, it can cause issues.
    6. Try a Different Network Band: If your router offers both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, try switching your TV to the other band. Some devices perform better or more reliably on one band versus the other.
    7. Network Security Protocol: Check if your network’s security protocol is compatible with your TV. For example, if your router is set to WPA3 and your TV only supports WPA2, this might cause a connection issue.
    8. Factory Reset of the TV: As a last resort, you could try a factory reset of your TV. This will erase all settings and return it to its original state. Make sure to note down any specific settings or logins before you do this.

• Glenn56
    Options

Tried it all.........

• Litik
    Litik Posts: 2
    Options
    > @Glenn56 said:
    > Tried it all.........
    There is a solution to the problem!!! You need to go to the app fizz - my wi-fi - advanced and change wi-fi chanel from auto to 6 or 11. A tried to fix this problem 2 weeks and did it. Good luck
  • Litik
    Litik Posts: 2
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I can't fix it.
  • Glenn56
    Options

Like I said, I've tried it all.......