Warning to anyone considering refusal of phone's delivery as a mean to return

Options
DanG
DanG Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited December 2023 in Break Room
Dear Fizz community,

Considering a small window of opportunities to cancel the order, you may be contemplating refusing the delivery as a way to simplify the return. You'd think this will prompt a swift refund once done, but from my personal experience the refusal of a delivery does not fall under a special case, and it is subject to the same conditions of the standard 15 days return policy.

Based on this policy there is a thorough verification process before considering it valid for return and a refund. So after it was refused on delivery and basically having no way to verify even the package conditions, there may still be this verification process that takes place once the item is back to the warehouse. While the sealed package might seem like a safeguard against such verification, according to the process(and multiple discussions with the customer service) there is no guarantee that this verification step may be skipped in this case.

At this point I'm waiting (>3 days at this point) for the verification to finish hoping that there is actually no issue with the package which I've never seen.
For anyone else I'd advise to consider your options. I cannot advise to accept the package and test the phone before returning it, but it seem right now as a preferable option.
For example in the return policy there is a warranty option for phones with some issues.
And if you want to return a phone you have to file a warranty claim.
But what happens if the phone in the unopened package, still in its original and sealed state(hopefully since I have not way of knowing this) has an issue which will be found during the regular return verification process? Well, according to the conditions it will be returned to you and you will be slapped an administrative fee on top!
Again, right now it does seem like improbable but not impossible case.

At this point I don't have much to do except making the rest of the community aware of this when considering package refusal.

Answers

• swatt
    swatt Posts: 3,678 ✭✭
    Options

Good to know. Thanks.

• limeisong
    limeisong Posts: 382 ✭✭
    Options

Understood, thank you for the explanation!

• wayne
    wayne Posts: 251 ✭✭
    Options

I could be wrong because I've never dealt with it personally, but in the case of refusal of delivery, considering the package never touched your hand, the verification process shouldn't be an issue at all? Let's say somehow the phone got smashed by a hammer at some point, it'd never be the customer's fault coz you never even seen the package?

• limeisong
    limeisong Posts: 382 ✭✭
    Options

Good to know. Nice question, up

• DanG
    Options
    > @wayne said:
    > I could be wrong because I've never dealt with it personally, but in the case of refusal of delivery, considering the package never touched your hand, the verification process shouldn't be an issue at all? Let's say somehow the phone got smashed by a hammer at some point, it'd never be the customer's fault coz you never even seen the package?

Well, that's it's the issue with the policy. Customer service confirmed that is it subject to https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-15-day-return-policy-phone-bought-fizz and there is nothing in there stating otherwise.

Update on my side: its been a week, no refund yet. I did receive an email from the support saying that they verified that the package was returned and I idd qualify for the refund.
    Fun fact on top: in my account page the returned phone is listed as being delivered to me. At least the tracking history in the delivery company correctly displays that it was returned back to the sender(Fizz).
  • DanG
    Options

Another update, another week later: no refund from Fizz on the returned phone. Its been 2 weeks since they RECEIVED the phone back and still nothing. After repeated custom support sessions the issue is always (yada yada) "escalated to the dedicate support team" that is about to contact me "very soon" and nothing happens.

At this point I'm not certain they are going to give me a refund on a returned phone.

What certain is that you really don't want to purchase anything worth more than a sim card from Fizz. Unreliable company with sub-par support. And that's an understatement on both counts.

• featherlike
    featherlike Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Options

Another issue about this, is that the company that delivers their phone only keeps packages for 5 DAYS, and the notice that says so on the paper they leave at the door isn't big enough to stand out among all the text on it, AND is at the bottom. It's really made in a way that you'll most likely miss it. So, if you're waiting on a phone and actually want it, be wary of that!!

Storytime :

I ordered a flip phone last September, and, thanks to a 100$ discount, it came out for me. I wanted a phone to avoid spending too many hours on Internet.. But I wasn't home for a week when the delivery person passed and left a note. And ofc, my flatmate didn't see the "only 5 days" notice, so I didn't know until I came back home... So it was too late and Fizz issue the return and "refund" (of 0$ lol) the next day or so. And the perk was gone, so I had no way to get that phone again for free.. :/

• DanG
    Options

Look on the bright side: you got you refund in time

BTW the last and final update: got my refund today , definitely 2 weeks later than it should have been issued. Not exactly sure what was the issue, from the looks of it, the Fizz system natively doesn't support the delivery refusals , so when the phone had been delivered back to the warehouse the system has assumed it's delivered to me. And hence all the back and forth with the support. But on the other hand in your case the refund of whooping 0$ was issued automatically.

Again it looks like it's safer to accept the package and initiate the normal return process (within the 15 days of course) than refuse the delivery.

• Pascal
    Pascal Posts: 6,411 ✭✭
    Options

Very interesting