best options to keep my number alive while traveling abroad

Options
chi C. #21388
chi C. #21388 Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited October 2023 in My Mobile

Hi,

I'm planning to travel abroad for a couple of months. I will purchase a local phone and data service to avoid high roaming fee. The only reason I need my phone alive is receiving 2FA SMS. I was thinking just go for the basic Quebec plan with a voice mail ($12 per month for now). Will this plan do the work?

BTW, Can I set up a call transfer to a VOIP number with this plan? or I still need the minutes to do that>

Thanks

Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,098 ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi @chi C. #21388

For the incoming SMS you only need the basic Quebec plan for 10$

For the voicemail or the call transfer, you need to add also money in your wallet or to have unlimited minutes or buy an addons

You can, put a little money in your wallet (otherwise the phone will not ring) , don't answer the call and callback with the VoIP

• jiyingss
    jiyingss Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Options

That is a great ideas to put money in the wallet, choose MSM 10 dollars plan, and don’t answer the phone call, just use voip to call back if really needed

• mwong
    mwong Posts: 88 ✭✭
    Options

Go with Fizz Qubec coverage $10 plan (no any call/sms). SMS incoming works worldwide. Tested in different continents such as Asia/Europe/Australia. No chance to test Africa yet

• Code:8CE6H
    Code:8CE6H Posts: 8,166 ✭✭
    Options

''I was thinking just go for the basic Quebec plan''

Yes, it's the best for you.

Have a good trip.

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,321 admin
    Options

Hello chi C. #21388,
    Thank you for your question,
    As the other community members mentioned, your best option is to take the 10$ + tax plan to receive the text messages, as they are always free.
    See this FAQ: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/abcs-fizz-mobile-services

In regards to the Calls, your phone will not be able to connect in any other country other than Canada and USA to a network that provides calls.  So, while you have the Fizz sim card in the phone,it will not work. I will not work to setup a call forwarding rule as well. 
    The only option is to use a local sim card for calls.
    Here you can see more details: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/im-travelling-outside-my-coverage-zone-what-are-my-roaming-options

Thank you for your understanding!
    Have a good day!
    -Eugen

• Marielee123
    Marielee123 Posts: 4
    Options
    > @chi C. #21388 said:
    > Hi,
    > I'm planning to travel abroad for a couple of months. I will purchase a local phone and data service to avoid high roaming fee. The only reason I need my phone alive is receiving 2FA SMS. I was thinking just go for the basic Quebec plan with a voice mail ($12 per month for now). Will this plan do the work?
    > BTW, Can I set up a call transfer to a VOIP number with this plan? or I still need the minutes to do that>
    >
    > Thanks

You can add a plan for US travelling direct from your count.
  • Marielee123
    Marielee123 Posts: 4
    Options
    You can add an US plan direct frkm your count
  • kingTheod
    kingTheod Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Options

Is there any plan to make international calls a reality for fizz users ?

it 's so frustrating to go overseas and unable to get canadian calls...

I'm planning to go to Europe sooner and i find out my fizz sim card is irrelevant in Europe.

I can get a local sim card but if someone need to reach me while travelling in Europe...no way to answer !

let say my Bank, Insurance, healtcare provider etc.. need to call me.

or maybe we need to switch to the parent company videotron ?

• swatt
    swatt Posts: 3,555 ✭✭
    Options

For your next phone buy, you may check for one with dual sim card.

This discussion has been closed.