VoLTE and data not working in US

Options
Matthew A. #24717
Matthew A. #24717 Posts: 375 ✭✭
edited August 2023 in My Mobile

I recently travelled through the U.S. with $5 in my wallet to make a few phone calls and data for navigation, but neither worked. I had to buy a travel add on to get the data to work. I have a LTE sim and chatted with an agent and they confirmed it should work, but I couldn’t make calls. Is there something you need to do to authorize the use of wallet funds for pay as you go features?

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? I have an iPhone 14.

thanks for your help!

Answers

• AK20230110
    AK20230110 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭
    Options

Hello,

If you are travelling to the United States, including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, the ability to make calls will depend on the network your phone connects to at your location. If only the LTE network is available, the ability to make calls will depend on two things: a VoLTE compatible SIM card and a phone that is certified VoLTE with Fizz.

https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-volte-important#3

Check the top of your phone screen. If you see:

3G or HSPA or H+ or E or EDGE

There is a network other than the LTE network. You can use your phone to make calls provided, of course, you have Canada + US coverage on your mobile plan, or funds in your Fizz wallet to pay per use.

No service

The LTE network is the only option where you’re at and your phone is not LTE capable. You will not be able to make calls.

LTE

Your phone connects to the LTE network but must be VoLTE certified with Fizz to make calls using VoLTE technology.

https://fizz.ca/en/faq/some-calls-when-us-do-not-work-why

If in doubt you can always consult with the customer support: https://fizz.ca/en/support

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,069 ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Matthew A. #24717

If the data addon worked this means that the roaming was activated and the phone was well configured.

It seems a temporary bug with Fizz

• Matthew A. #24717
    Matthew A. #24717 Posts: 375 ✭✭
    Options

Not sure what the problem was - everything was configured properly and as I mention my phone is volte certified and my lte sim activated. It happened on my last two trips to the US. I don’t have a U.S. plan. I just wanted to use the pay as you go option. When I contacted support they said it should work, but I should activate my wallet by clicking on travelling abroad and add funds to my wallet for that country? But I already have money in my wallet.

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,225 admin
    Options

Hello, Matthew A. #24717
    I'm sorry for the situation you have encountered.
    I have verified your account and I can see that everything is fine, your USA roaming data should work, however, this also depends on where you are at this moment.
    Please turn on airplane mode - wait 10 seconds - turn it off and restart the device. If this won't solve the situation, please make sure that your phone is connected to our partner's network and that can be done only if you have the roaming and data active. I have also verified your Fizz member account and I can see that you managed to use the data from the Data Travel Add-On. Also, please verify your iOS system and make sure that it has the latest update installed (iOS 16.5.1).
    You can see more details regarding 
    If you still encounter the issue, you will need real-time assistance, so please use the chat bubble located in the lower right-hand corner of the Solution Hub pages. If you have trouble finding it, click on the following link (with an incognito window ctrl+shift+n), and the chat bubble will appear within 15-20 seconds: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/im-unable-log-my-fizz-account-what-do-i-do.
    We will be able to provide you with more manipulations and we can also escalate a ticket if necessary.
    I hope you have a pleasant day!
    -Mihai

This discussion has been closed.