LAN internet connection dropping when using... TEAMs

lheurech
lheurech Posts: 6 ✭✭

Hi,

Today, my internet connection dropped 51 times while doing a TEAM video call. I also did the same when I switched to Google Meet. I tried removing the video camera but without many changes. Since I had a problem with Fizz three years ago, I decided to have a network monitor.

The drop is really fast 5-10 seconds then back up. I don't lose wifi, the lights are still blue on my modem.

Normally, I lose connection in the morning when the sun is out or when it's really humid. I think it's my cable outside, but Fizz doesn't want to change it. Tech guy came 2 times and didn't do much.

But today was different. 51 short interruptions. Is it because there are too many devices connected? How in the hell am I supposed to have a smart home if the Router can't handle it?

Now that I left my video call, everything seems ok, but the connection is slow. I have the 400 Mbps package, but it surely doesn't feel like it.

Yes, I try to reboot my router. I'm doing it every day. Yes sometimes I factory reset it, but nothing really changes.

I'm thinking of moving from Fizz... I've saying that for the past three years... but I'm starting to get fed up.

Should I buy another router and make a bridge between them? Fizz Router doesn't seem to handle a lot.

Thanks

Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,614 ✭✭
    edited August 2023

Hi

Did you check the led status?

You problem seems coming from the LAN since you lost the carrier, did you try to change the ethernet cable?

You can also try to turn off the modem for 1 minutes

You can chat in direct

• Sign into your account

• Follow the link on this page: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/im-unable-log-my-fizz-account-what-do-i-do

• Wait 3 seconds for the green bubble with a '❔' appears at the bottom right of the browser, if you use a phone you must use it in desktop or horizontal mode

• Choose the option 💬 chat

• If the green bubble does not appear make sure your ad blocker is disabled, otherwise try with another browser.

Or by private message on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fizzca/

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Andrei_ref_R7VK1 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭
    edited August 2023

This is definitely not good, you can try to check your cable yourself but most probably you need to contact customer support to have them send a technician for checking the cable or modem replacement.

• lheurech

@Andrei_ref_R7VK1 @Jess_i88b6 I'll try changing the cable, but it's really strange that it's only when I'm doing a video call. I also check my network adapters and everything is fine from there.

LED status is all up and working fine on the modem. My desktop indicator also shows LAN is up. They are micro drop and get back up really quick. I'll try to check if I have another cable. But the one I'm using is top quality tho.

• Jess_i88b6

@lheurech

If the modem have a problem, usually this take more than couples of seconds to synchronize on the WAN side

Moreover, the problem is on the ethernet side

I will start with a reboot, change the port and cable and if possible the computer

the RTP traffic should not create this kind of problem, are you using a VPN?

• lheurech

@Jess_i88b6

No VPN

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Andrei_ref_R7VK1 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭

Video/Voice calls are using UDP protocol (without retransmition like TCP), hence they are more sensitive to the network hiccups than just browsing the Internet or downloading the files. That's why you are "seeing" it more often during the calls.

• Jess_i88b6

Try for test, to disable the auto negotiation on the ethernet

• Jess_i88b6

Probably you should check on the windows logs Services Logs/Microsoft/Windows/NetworkProfile log to see if when the network changed state what was the cause

• lheurech

I have this recurrent event:

NewInternetConnectionProfile false ConnectionCostChanged false DomainConnectivityLevelChanged false NetworkConnectivityLevelChanged false HostNameChanged true WwanRegistrationStateChanged false TetheringOperationalStateChanged false TetheringClientCountChanged false

I don't know how to interpret it.

Other than that it seems normal

• Jess_i88b6

The problem that we don't know why the ethernet changed, if you connected to the modem you can see his log

But the easy test is to reboot the phone and change the ethernet cable, probably a problem with the connection and during the MSTeam you are doing some movement that move the cable

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 21,497 admin

Hello lheurech  ,

Sorry to hear about the issue!

So I verified your modem`s signals and it looks like there are about 33 devices connected, which are a bit too many from what I see, since you have throughput issues on the 2,4 Ghz band , as most of your devices are connected on that band.

I also observed that the modem reboots often, but this might be due to a faulty cable or possible because the usage is too high and the modem tries to reboot itself to address that issue.

Usually, if your usage is too high on the 2,4 Ghz band, the modem will start to reboot since it can`t really handle high usage - the 5 Ghz band is made for that purpose ( however it has a lower coverage than 2,4 but better stability in general and speed also ), so I advise you disable the band steering following the details found here : https://fizz.ca/en/faq/my-wi-fi-network-cutting-how-do-i-fix-it

Moreover, please also check the Ethernet ports and change the Ethernet cable to eliminate the posibility of this being a cable issue since you loose the signal there specifically.
    Do the same with the coaxial and power cable ( check for damage just to be safe )

Test the modem in another power outlet, to eliminate electrical issues just to be also.

Reach our customer service if you still have these issues after these steps : https://fizz.ca/en/support as our team will try to help further.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Have a good one,
    -Raul