Can the modem (CODA-4680) be setup sideways (i.e. horizontally)?

EVS
EVS Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited June 2023 in Internet

I did not have enough clearance to set up the modem upright (vertical), so I set it up sideways (horizontally) and lifted it a bit over 1/2 inch to allow for airflow.

I wonder if this is OK and whether it makes any difference in range and/or performance.

Thanks!

Best Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,644 ✭✭
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓

Hi @EVS

Please check on the temperature, that it is the most important thing, if there is enough air flow you will not have any problems

• ValentinMTL
    ValentinMTL Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓

Good idea to add blocks for air flow. If there are ventilation holes on the top and bottom only, the position might affect the airflow, but it looks like there are some on the sides.

In theory, it is possible that the antennas will provide a more consistent coverage in the vertical position, but I think it is unlikely. They are probably mostly omnidirectional.

It will definitely not blow up. Maybe an occasional dusting and it should be fine.

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,644 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

For functionality, the most important is the temperature. There are no mechanical components inside, so the positioning doesn't matter much.

As for the antenna, its performance depends on its placement. If you don't have any WiFi signal problems, you're okay. However, these issues can also occur in a vertical position. Sometimes, adjusting the position slightly can affect the signal.

Answers

This discussion has been closed.