Changing my IP?

Femtal
Femtal Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited June 2023 in Internet

So I was hosting a server with port fowarding in Minecraft and I had to give my IP to my friends for them to connect the messages were sent through private chat on Discord (Kind of like Zoom/Skype) my account was hacked and now my IP is leaked.

Is there anyway to change the IPV4 adress? I tried unplugging the modem for 1 hour but it gave me the same IP.

I've seen people mention bridge mode but I have no idea what that is or how it works. I'am using the CODA-4680 modem.

Best Answer

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,614 ✭✭
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓

Yes you need to do that

When you connect your PC, check the IP that you are getting, this must be a public one and different from the previous

if you are using windows, you can open the command, and type ipconfig or click on the network icon or navigate to a site (type in google, what is my ip)

You need to turn off and on the modem, after you made the modification

After you get the new ip, you need to reset the modem a reconfigure the password (follow the guide)

Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    edited June 2023

Hi @Femtal

No the lease is very long :(

You can try to put your modem in bridge mode, connecting only your computer on the ethernet port, wait couple of minutes, after reset the modem and reconfigurer it

This is the procedure https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-can-i-use-my-own-wi-fi-router-fizz

Disable the Wi-Fi feature of the Fizz Wi-Fi modem
    1. In bridge mode, the two (2) Wi-Fi radios built into your Fizz Wi-Fi modem will be deactivated, thus disabling its Wi-Fi capabilities.
    • Open an Internet browser and enter 192.168.0.1 in the address bar.
    • Identify yourself using the following login information:
      • Username: cusadmin
      • Password: **enter your Wi-Fi password**
    • Select Basic
    • Select Gateway
    • Disable the option ''Residential Gateway function''
    • Click Ok
    Install your personal Wi-Fi router
    1. Connect your personal router as indicated in its user guide. 
    2. Plug the network cable (RJ45) into one of the four (4) numbered ports of your Fizz Wi-Fi modem.
    3. If there's any issue with the connection, restart both devices (the Fizz Wi-Fi modem and your personal router).
    4. If you want to re-enable the Wi-Fi capability of your Fizz Wi-Fi modem, you'll need to reset it to its factory settings by holding down the reset button on the back of the device for ten (10) seconds.
    If needed, restart both your modem and personal router

This quick video will guide you through each step. But in a nutshell:

1. Unplug the power cable on your Wi-Fi modem.
    2. Make sure all the lights on the modem turn off.
    3. Wait ten (10) seconds.
    4. Plug your modem back into the electrical outlet. Expect a three (3) minute delay to allow your devices to reconnect to the Wi-Fi network.

Note: If you are also using a personal router, you'll need to restart it as well.

• Femtal

I don't have another a router to use can I still do this?

• Jess_i88b6
    edited June 2023

Hi @Femtal

You need to use your computer

Instead connecting the router, connect a computer using the ethernet cable, it will do the same. Connect only one device to the ethernet port, when the router is in brdige mode

• Femtal
    edited June 2023

So in short I need to disconnect the* coaxial cable and put only my computer through ethernet, wait a few minutes and then reboot the modem?

• Jess_i88b6

No

You need to follow the guide that I posted before, when you see router, imagine to see your computer

Therefore, instead connecting the router to the ethernet cable you need to connect the computer

• Femtal

How do I know if I’m in bridge mode? Do I just have to disable 'Residential Gateway function''?

• Femtal

Hey, thanks a lot! I was able to do it and my new IPv4 is different, the guide was a bit confusing though but you helped me so much!

This discussion has been closed.