Using your fizz phone outside Canada

johnpwelton
johnpwelton Posts: 2 ✭✭

I understand that I cannot make voice calls on a fizz phone/plan whilst travelling to the UK. However, can I use wifi calling to make a voice call, or can I only use wifi to make a call over a messaging app such as Whatsapp? (And could someone back in Canada call me in the UK, assuming I was in wifi coverage and the wifi calling option is possible?)

Thanks!

Best Answers

Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 12,942 ✭✭
    edited March 2023

Hi @johnpwelton

Yes you can use your messaging app over wifi

I am using textnow or fongo which give me a phone number where I can be reached, therefore, the other party is using a normal phone to call me, I have a number from 514

The fongo app give you also a voicemail, I don't remember for textnow, the fongo app should be installed when you are in Canada otherwise, you need to pay for it.

The following is the text from the Fizz's guide

You can choose to get a block of data known as a Travel Add-on or pay as you go your data usage and your text messages (by the way, incoming texts are always free). You can even change your plan’s coverage if you’re travelling in Canada or the United States. But you know what? Wi-Fi always remains your best friend 😊.

Knowing which option is best for your travels will depend on how long you’ll be away, and how much you’ll be using your phone while roaming outside your coverage area. As a rule of thumb, a Travel Add-on will be better for long trips, while paying as you go will suffice for a quick getaway. But regardless of your choice remember to activate the roaming option of your phone, or else it'll block your usage.

How much will it cost.
    1. To see the rates for the place you’re heading to, sign into your account and go under My plans > Manage plan > Travel. Enter your destination. The site will show the prices for the available Travel Add-ons, as well as the applicable pay as you go rates.
    2. Know that the prices and the rates that are shown apply to a zone. A zone is a group of countries that all share the same rates. In other words, if you’re travelling within the countries of that zone, you can use the same Travel Add-on or enjoy the same pay as you go rates. When you’re researching the rates for a destination in your account, the link to discover all the countries included in a given zone is under the pay as you go option.
    Choosing a Travel Add-On.
    1. As of now, only Travel Add-ons for data are offered. Travel Add-ons to make calls will be available at a later time.
    2. A Travel Add-on is basically a block of data at a fixed price that allows you to use your Fizz service while travelling outside your coverage area (roaming). Once purchased, you can use it immediately, and it will remain available until the end of your next payment cycle.
    3. To buy a Travel Add-on, sign into your account and go under My plans > Manage plan > Travel. Enter your destination and choose the one that suits you. Your Travel Add-on will be activated as soon as you pay for it. Should you run out, all you’ll have to do is hunt down a Wi-Fi network so you can access your account and get another one.  
    4. Having data available on your phone can be very useful. You’ll love that GPS for instance to find your way when you’re out and about, away from home. Actually, who are we kidding. We use GPS all the time, right?
    Choosing to pay as you go.
    1. If you’re not planning to use your phone that much while outside your coverage area, paying as you go while you are roaming may be a good option.
    2. To pay as you go, however, you must add funds in your Fizz wallet. To do so, sign into your account and look up the pay as you go rates for your destination under My plans > Manage plan > Travel. All the way at the bottom, you’ll see the magic green button.
    3. If you run out of funds while roaming outside your coverage area, don’t worry. There is no surcharge when your wallet runs out of funds, although you won’t be able to use your services. If this happens, simply hunt down a Wi-Fi network so you can access your account and add funds to your wallet.
    Changing your coverage.
    1. If you’re planning a getaway somewhere in Canada or in the United States, make sure to do your math. Changing your plan's coverage might be an interesting option, and cheaper, than buying Travel Add-ons or paying as you go. Once the dates of your trip are set, pencil in the right moment to adjust your plan and choose the coverage you want so this change comes into effect in time.
    2. Be advised.
    3. As of July 2022, if you are travelling in the United States, including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, only the LTE network is available. Calling or receiving calls and texts is not possible, even if you are using a VoLTE compatible phone, activated with a VoLTE compatible SIM card. When Fizz will offer VoLTE on its own network, this situation will be resolved.
    4. The details on VoLTE
    Hunting down Wi-Fi.

Aaaah, Wi-Fi. Probably the next best thing since sliced bread. Connecting to Wi-Fi means you can use apps such as WhatsApp, Google Duo, Facetime and Messenger to make video calls. These apps use data and do not require voice coverage.

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/im-travelling-outside-my-coverage-zone-what-are-my-roaming-options

• Sébastien code ZXEL1
    Sébastien code ZXEL1 Posts: 6,674 ✭✭
    edited March 2023

@johnpwelton

I’m travelling outside my coverage area. What are my options?

How much will it cost.

Changing your coverage.

Hunting down Wi-Fi.

You can choose to get a block of data known as a Travel Add-on or pay as you go your data usage and your text messages (by the way, incoming texts are always free). You can even change your plan’s coverage if you’re travelling in Canada or the United States. But you know what? Wi-Fi always remains your best friend 😊.

Knowing which option is best for your travels will depend on how long you’ll be away, and how much you’ll be using your phone while roaming outside your coverage area. As a rule of thumb, a Travel Add-on will be better for long trips, while paying as you go will suffice for a quick getaway. But regardless of your choice remember to activate the roaming option of your phone, or else it'll block your usage.

How much will it cost.
    1. To see the rates for the place you’re heading to, sign into your account and go under My plans > Manage plan > Travel. Enter your destination. The site will show the prices for the available Travel Add-ons, as well as the applicable pay as you go rates.
    2. Know that the prices and the rates that are shown apply to a zone. A zone is a group of countries that all share the same rates. In other words, if you’re travelling within the countries of that zone, you can use the same Travel Add-on or enjoy the same pay as you go rates. When you’re researching the rates for a destination in your account, the link to discover all the countries included in a given zone is under the pay as you go option.
    1. As of now, only Travel Add-ons for data are offered. Travel Add-ons to make calls will be available at a later time.
    2. A Travel Add-on is basically a block of data at a fixed price that allows you to use your Fizz service while travelling outside your coverage area (roaming). Once purchased, you can use it immediately, and it will remain available until the end of your next payment cycle.
    3. To buy a Travel Add-on, sign into your account and go under My plans > Manage plan > Travel. Enter your destination and choose the one that suits you. Your Travel Add-on will be activated as soon as you pay for it. Should you run out, all you’ll have to do is hunt down a Wi-Fi network so you can access your account and get another one.  
    4. Having data available on your phone can be very useful. You’ll love that GPS for instance to find your way when you’re out and about, away from home. Actually, who are we kidding. We use GPS all the time, right?
    1. If you’re not planning to use your phone that much while outside your coverage area, paying as you go while you are roaming may be a good option.
    2. To pay as you go, however, you must add funds in your Fizz wallet. To do so, sign into your account and look up the pay as you go rates for your destination under My plans > Manage plan > Travel. All the way at the bottom, you’ll see the magic green button.
    3. If you run out of funds while roaming outside your coverage area, don’t worry. There is no surcharge when your wallet runs out of funds, although you won’t be able to use your services. If this happens, simply hunt down a Wi-Fi network so you can access your account and add funds to your wallet.
    Changing your coverage.
    1. If you’re planning a getaway somewhere in Canada or in the United States, make sure to do your math. Changing your plan's coverage might be an interesting option, and cheaper, than buying Travel Add-ons or paying as you go. Once the dates of your trip are set, pencil in the right moment to adjust your plan and choose the coverage you want so this change comes into effect in time.
    2. Be advised.
    3. As of July 2022, if you are travelling in the United States, including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, only the LTE network is available. Calling or receiving calls and texts is not possible, even if you are using a VoLTE compatible phone, activated with a VoLTE compatible SIM card. When Fizz will offer VoLTE on its own network, this situation will be resolved.
    4. The details on VoLTE
    Hunting down Wi-Fi.
    1. Aaaah, Wi-Fi. Probably the next best thing since sliced bread. Connecting to Wi-Fi means you can use apps such as WhatsApp, Google Duo, Facetime and Messenger to make video calls. These apps use data and do not require voice coverage.

Read more :

Partner networks: How does expanded coverage work in Canada?

What is an Add-On and how do I buy one? 

How do I add funds to my Fizz Wallet?

I want to know when my usage will switch to Pay As You Go. How do I know when my plan is running out?

Comment gérer le paiement à l’utilisation

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 12,942 ✭✭

Hi @johnpwelton

If you want to buy an addon here the prices for the data

An Add-On is additional data, minutes, text or minutes for international calls that you can add onto your current monthly plan. To add an extra to your mobile plan, use this link:

Available Add-Ons

Add-Ons are useful if you’re running low on monthly data or minutes, or if you want to add a feature, such as international calling, that’s not part of your current monthly plan.

Buy an Add-On when you need more data, minutes, text or minutes for international call coverage than your current monthly plan allows. Add-Ons take effect immediately.

How long does it take to activate an Add-On? How long does it last?

Add-Ons are active immediately. They’re valid until the end of your next payment cycle.

In other words, if there are 10 days left on your current payment cycle, your Add-On will be valid for approximately 40 days.

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-is-an-add-on-and-how-do-i-buy-one

• johnpwelton
    johnpwelton Posts: 2 ✭✭

Thanks all so far. The question really is whether I can just walk into a wifi hotspot, select voice over wifi/wifi calling (different carriers/networks vary what they call it) and make/receive a call, without needing to use an app.

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Andrei_ref_R7VK1 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭

I am using TextNow, no issues so far.

• Derr
    Derr Posts: 5,359 ✭✭

Good to know

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    FizzyFizz JQMPM Posts: 4,556 ✭✭

I would use an app at the moment since the voLTE service from fizz is still quite ambiguous. Most of the apps to message people now include the possibility to call! Use the one where your friends and family are!

• neverwinter
    neverwinter Posts: 1,943 ✭✭

I don't see the relation between volte and the apps? I can understand between wifiCalling and the apps

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    FizzyFizz JQMPM Posts: 4,556 ✭✭

You are right! I think I got confused with another thread! Volte is over lte so it's not related at all with wifi calling. Sorry

• Derr

Don’t worry about it

• Derr

Haha! No problem