Can I use a MoCA adapter and my own router ?

xanyook
xanyook Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited November 2022 in Internet

Hi,

recently subscribed to fizz for residential internet, i am not really pleased by the router provided, a CODA-4680-FIZ.

I get internet from a coaxial connectivity and would like to purchase my own router.

The ones I am looking for, the "TP-Link Archer AX11000" or the "Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC5300" do not have coaxial connectivity.

Can I use a MoCA adapter between the network and the router or is there some specific handshake done between the original router and the network on coaxial ?

Other case, I could use the current router as a bridge, no wifi, only one ethernet cable between the 2 routers. But that would left me with 2 routers which are not small.

What do you think ?

Best Answer

• Jonathan_Carriere
    Jonathan_Carriere Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

A MoCA adapter won't work, I'm afraid. Despite Fizz running on the Videotron network, you can't even use a Videotron router instead of the Fizz provided one (I tried). But, honestly, Xbox-style looks aside, I have no complaints about the Fizz router. It has been rock solid since I signed up in July and will work fine in either bridge or double NAT mode with a second router of your choice.

Answers

• Mamie
    Mamie Posts: 1,784 ✭✭
    edited November 2022

@xanyook

Hi, according to what we know since you are required to have the Fizz modem/router to have the network signal, the connection to receive the signal is made directly between the coaxial cable and modem/router. I understand you want to use a broadband adapter. The highest speed offered by Fizz is 200Mbps/30Mbps.

I may have misunderstood your question, but why not put the Fizz modem in bridge mode and plug a personal router directly into the Fizz modem? Normally you don't need a coaxial jack on the personal router. A good router ensures you a very good connection speed without too much loss.

https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-can-i-use-my-own-wi-fi-router-fizz

An other idea, if you buy the TP-Link or the Asus Rog from a big online firm, you can still try it and see the results? You usually have 30 days to return it if it doesn't fit. Hoping to have given some ideas.

You can also contact customer service and ask them directly. They will surely be able to send a ticket to technical support for a precise answer. To contact customer service, open this link: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/resolving-issues

and just scroll down until you see the green bubble with a question mark which you click on, then a second click to start your session. Chat is the faster way.

You can also use Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fizzca/

• xanyook

thx Mamie,

If this is possible, i would prefer using a MoCA adapter for the only reason that the dimension of the device is way smaller than the current modem provided by Fizz so easier to hide in my furniture.

Using the provided modem in a bridge mode would be an easier solution for sure, but would left me with a huge device that would only be a... bridge, without any existence but to convert coaxial to ethernet, which is basically the role of a MoCA adapter.

That s why I am hopping to get confirmation on the MoCA adapter solution.

• Mamie
    Mamie Posts: 1,784 ✭✭
    edited November 2022

@xanyook

It's more a question of aesthetics than speed, if I understand correctly. But I respect everyone according to their need.

Fizz technical support should give you the precise answer to your question. If not, you can try it out and see for yourself.

Good luck to you.

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭

@xanyook, Fizz like other providers try to force you to use their own device, in order to have the provisioning, and monitor facilities. I understand that you don't like to duplicate the service, but, at the moment, I don't see any other options (I don't know if there is some work around "hack" in order to use your device)

But using your own device, probably you will be able also to lift the bandwidth configuration.

• xanyook

thx @Jessy_ref_i88b6 and @Jonathan_Carriere , that s what i was afraid of, some handshake between the provided modem and some network equipment that a MoCA adapter could not do.

Will use the bridge mode.

This discussion has been closed.