New Samsung now calls drop every few seconds

Options
DamienB
DamienB Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited August 2022 in My Mobile

I was using a Google Pixel 3XL and had no trouble.

I bought a 3 month old Samsung A53 5G seond hand and now when I make or receive phone calls the audio drops every 5-10 seconds. Can't even hold a conversation. The connection remains until one of the people gets annoyed and hangs up.

How can I determine if this is truly the phone's problem or is there an incompatibility with my fizz account? Something to do with this phone being 5G?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,231 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello DamienB,
    I am really sorry for the situation encountered,
    I have verified the ticket and our technical team informed us that if the services are not working after the manipulations, then your phone has an issue and you need to contact the carrier to inspect it. 
    If your SIM card is working with another one, then the issue comes from your phone. 
    Also, to clarify some information from the comments, at this time, Fizz does not have the infrastructure for the VoLTE services. It will be implemented as soon as it is working, you will be notified.

Furthermore, regarding the email you have sent to us, I can't see one in my tools. 
    Therefore, please reach us in private ( chat/ messenger/ or from your account> My settings> Contact forms.)
    Here is a useful link for this: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/resolving-issues

Thank you for your understanding! 
    I wish you a great day! 
    -Eugen

Answers

• Fling
    Fling Posts: 8,757 ✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi Damien

if you can put your SIM in another phone to see if you still have the problem is the béer solution

You have rebooted your phone ?

All the update are done ?

• DamienB
    Options

Yes it works in my other phone still.

I have tried rebooting and resetting network settings.

It is 100% fully up to date.

• Fling
    Options

Damien

You can try the solution is this link

contact Fizz customer service for more help by opening this link: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-do-i-make-sure-my-mobile-service-working-properly and simply scroll down until you see the green bubble, then click on it to start your chat session with Fizz customer service.

You can also do it on Facebook: https://facebook.com/fizzca

-By private message on Twitter : https://mobile.twitter.com/fizz_ca

-Whatsapp : (438) 393-5814

Chatting is the only fast and efficient method because you interact directly with customer service

• Fling
    Options

Damien

i thing your phone is the problem

• Fling
    Options

Damien

Someone who has the same phone as your made the same question on the french aide this morning

https://forum.fizz.ca/fr/discussion/2635025/samsung-a53-impossible-d-avoir-une-communication-telephonique

• Doomdrou
    Doomdrou Posts: 725 ✭✭
    Options

Did you deactivate the "5G" option? As Fizz is not using 5G technology, there might be some signal interference going on.

My suggestion is to deactivate this 5G feature, then test your phone. If the issue persists, then I guess that your phone has a problem and you'll need to return it.

• ah727
    ah727 Posts: 807 ✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options

@DamienB

It could be defective. I'm just wondering if it's speaker defective, microphone defective, or network signal defective. Do things improve when you go outside?

• DamienB
    edited August 2022
    Options

Okay so the APN settings were already correctly entered by default. I verified compared to your link and it matches exactly.

The mobile network settings do not list an option for 5G. The current setting is LTE/WCDMA/GSM. There is no option for 5G.

I tested a Bell SIM card and it worked flawlessly. The previous owner was using Bell as well and said he had no problems.

I read the French posting you linked and it does seem like the same problem. The SIM card works fine in my Google Pixel 3XL. The French user already replaced their phone with a new one and has the same problem.

I truly believe this is an incompatability between your service and this phone model. This is odd because you actually sell this model on your site.

Is there anything else that can be tried on your end?

Are there maybe newer version of SIM cards available to try?

• ah727
    edited August 2022
    Options

@DamienB

"The mobile network settings do not list an option for 5G. The current setting is LTE/WCDMA/GSM. There is no option for 5G."

Don't worry, I have a Samsung A52 5G with the new Sim card, and 5G isn't an option yet.

However my A52 works great. A53 should be just as good, even better. But it's a newer phone and maybe bugs have not been corrected yet.

• Benoit M. #23321
    Benoit M. #23321 Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Options

@DamienB Did you manage to talk to someone at the support? I don't have any answers from them.

• DamienB
    Options

I spent over an hour and tried a number of things but they had to escalate the issue to a higher tier support technician. I am waiting for an email back once they have an update. I'll be sure to post any outcome once this is all over. I'm hoping I don't have to switch providers or phones.

It is definitely a compatibility issue though. When I change wireless network connections manually it works on some but not others. Not a phone issue.

• Antoine L. 12906
    Antoine L. 12906 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Hi DamienB,

I have the exact same problem as yours with my new Samsung A53.

Please let me know if you are able to fix it, it is very frustrating!!!

Thanks,

• ah727
    Options

@DamienB

"The mobile network settings do not list an option for 5G. The current setting is LTE/WCDMA/GSM. There is no option for 5G."

I have a message for you in private. If you want to know, check your message box.

• DamienB
    Options

@Antoine L. 12906 - I know. And so far the only email I got form the "higher technician" is to set my APN settings manually... Which I indicated above are not different form the settings my phone configured automatically. But I did it anyway and tested, but it did not help the problem at all. I told them 25 hours ago, but I haven't hgeard back. We'll see.

@ah727 - Thanks. I'll give this a try in a little bit and report back.

• anniep
    anniep Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Options

I had same problems with my new A53, and it is by changing network mode to AMRC-LB/GSM that solved the problem.

• DamienB
    edited August 2022
    Options

Interesting... I don't have that option however. You can see in the screenshot.

I tried @ah727 's suggestion to unlock the 5G option and it didn't work.

I tried the suggestion in this post to unlock the 5G option and it also failed. https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s20-series/samsung-s20-5g-sm-g986u1-network-mode-doesn-t-show-5g-option/td-p/1924898

To be clear, I don't want 5G, I just want to be sure my phone is not TRYING to get 5G. Shot in the dark.

Also, no response from support technician email.

I'm at the point of just leaving Fizz. I know Fizz is cheap because support is lackluster, but it's getting frustrating that thery can't solve this. They sell this phone. How can there only be 4-5 of us having this problem?

Will update when I can.

• ah727
    edited August 2022
    Options

@DamienB

AMRC- LB/GSM and WCDMA/GSM are the same. In fact, it means choosing 2G/3G networks only, and since there are no more 2G (GSM) in Quebec.... it's 3G only.

It makes sense when your networks are unstable, and may improve your calls. But remember your data will be slow.

• anniep
    anniep Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Options

Yes but it is better than having to choose between calls and data

• Vasiok
    Vasiok Posts: 1,337 ✭✭
    Options

i will suggest you to select 3G network. I think this will solve your problem.

• DamienB
    edited August 2022
    Options

Except this gives me less than I'm paying for. I may as well find a better phone or a better service provider... I want LTE. I pay for LTE. I have a phone CAPABLE of LTE.

First time Samsung experience is NOT going well.

• Vasiok
    Options

well, bad news for you, it seems that there is no LTE for now at Fizz. Even if it says LTE, when you make a call, it will switch to 3G. Just take a look at your phone when you make a call.

• DamienB
    Options

Well "bad news for you", you're wrong. Fizz does support LTE data speeds according to their website and promotional material. And According to their coverage map, I am well within their supported area.

But even without VoLTE that's fine for voice. Many carriers don't have the bandwidth for VoLTE or Voice over LTE which is totally fine when it switches to 3g for a voice call. And even upon further searching, Fizz DOES claim to support VoLTE for this phone model. It is listed as "certified" here: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/compatible-devices#:~:text=With%20Fizz%2C%20you%20get%20to,data%20with%20your%20mobile%20plan.

My point is I don't want to leave my phone in 3G mode all the time and give up 4g/LTE data speeds for everything else I do (95%). For some reason when it's in LTE mode the calls fail. I can't put my phone in LTE for data then as soon as I get a call go to my setting and switch it to 3G only, connect to another tower or network and then take the call and switch it back to LTE after. Clearly that's impossible.

It's unfortunate that there's been radio silence from my support ticket since last Thursday (4 days ago). I guess you get what you pay for.

• Vasiok
    Options

i totally understand you, but the thing is, the VoLTE service is not yet implemented and just few users with Apples phones (+Xiaomi) had reported having this service.

I just gave you a suggestion, but you should insist with your ticket.

• Benoit M. #23321
    Benoit M. #23321 Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Options

@DamienB

Do you have any news from tech support?

13 days for me and nothing. I asked them, if i can exchange.model, still nothing. Like you said, i know what im paying for "saddly".

• DamienB
    Options

Nah they re-opened this thread, but nothing. Their email support sent me the same APN suggestion 3 times, but there's no way to respond with my results so each time I have to open a "new complaint" and my last one has gone completely unanswered and ignored for like 3 days.

It's like they figure " you pay 10% less so you get 98% less support". Reporting to the BBB for sure. And reddit. And Twitter. nothiogn else I can do to get REAL 1 on 1 support.

• DamienB
    Options

I DON'T CARE ABOUT VoLTE!!!! I just want LTE DATA and WORKING voice calls. FFS.

This discussion has been closed.