Guide for using NAS (Network Attached Storage) with Fizz router

hguillaume
hguillaume Posts: 2 ✭✭

Guide for using NAS (Network Attached Storage) with Fizz router

A NAS is a hard drive accessible from any computer in your network. It is easy to setup with Fizz router using an external USB drive or simple USB flash drive.

1.     Plug a USB external drive or flash drive in the Fizz router.

2.     You should be able to see your disk in the

router web interface at http://192.168.0.1 in  Admin->USB Storage

(In my network I have changed my network for 192.168.1.1, that is why it is showing different address in the screenshots)

3.     If your software version is 7.1.1.2.7b8 or older, you will need to install SMB1 on your computer to access the NAS

3a.     You can open a command prompt by opening windows menu and searching for “cmd”

3b.     Enter the following command:

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /All /FeatureName:SMB1Protocol

You might need to restart computer after installation

3c.    Optional step for debugging SMB1

To see if SMB1 is activated, you can enter this command:

powershell Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMB1Protocol

If it is installed but not activated, you can activate it with this command:

powershell Set-SmbServerConfiguration –EnableSMB1Protocol 1

4.     Open file explorer and enter \\192.168.0.1\diska1 to make sure you now have access to the NAS.

(In this step, it is easy to make the mistake to only enter diska and to forget the 1 for diska1)

5.     If all the above works, you can also map the network drive to a drive letter for easy access:

Open file explorer and Right click “This PC”->”Map network drive…”

Enter: \\192.168.0.1\diska1

If anyone has success or problems, you can ask help or give feedback :)

Comments

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭

Great write up...

HOWEVER...

PLEASE, do yourself a favor and DO NOT install/enable SMB1. It has so many security holes and just asking to get your machine infected. It is the prime target of most malware. And this is why it is now disabled by default on most recent OS.

Anyone want more reading, just google for "SMB1 security".

Here is an article to get started: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/storage-at-microsoft/stop-using-smb1/ba-p/425858

• Doomdrou
    Doomdrou Posts: 725 ✭✭

This is a very interesting thread! Thank you for the information. More useful than having a mobile drive to move around from device to device.

• yoddie
    yoddie Posts: 79 ✭✭

Thanks for the detailed guide, very useful!

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭

Thanks for the insightful post! Many will find that helpful. However, I agree (and want to highlight) @Emporium’s comment

• MarcVivian
    MarcVivian Posts: 120 ✭✭

Thank you!

• mozgocheck
    mozgocheck Posts: 1 ✭✭

Today it is not just an array of high–capacity hard drives with the ability to connect to a local network, but a whole computer, in fact, a personal server that can do everything - store data, transmit it to the Internet, and receive it from it, is controlled from any mobile devices, distributes multimedia content to modern televisions and media players, works as part of a video surveillance system. A modern NAS's functions cannot be described in the introduction, especially since we will talk about it in 18 articles every two weeks.

So thank you for the detailed guide! I will advise my friends. Could you write an article about HARD DRIVE RECOVERY?

• Roger_Gravel_43HPY
    Roger_Gravel_43HPY Posts: 17 ✭✭

Thanks for the insightful post!

I found it helpful and was able to connect to the \\192.168.0.1\diska1 with Windows 7

BUT

I am not able with Linux Mint.

• ofankhau
    ofankhau Posts: 1 ✭✭

Hi!

I am able to access it from my computer, but unable to access it from my NVIDIA Shield when I try to mount it as external storage, despite entering the ip address, username and password (which I assume are the same as the Fizz router).

It asks for the domain name related to the IP address. I am not sure what to put there. The default is "Workgroup".

Thanks,

Olivier

• Fizzaddict
    Fizzaddict Posts: 240 ✭✭

Thanks for the info ! That is useful ! Thanks for sharing