How is data usage allocated?

Helping my friends again, they have Rollover data and Perks and it's being used up in what appears to be the wrong order. Screen capture of Dec 15-Jan 14 (current cycle) taken a couple of days ago below. The same thing happened in the previous month, I asked them to take a shot of that one but they can't find it.

In the situation below, the 1 GB Perk and 500 MB Perk made sense to be used first (expiring same or sooner than the others), but why is the 4.14 GB Rollover (expires Feb 14) being tapped before the 1 GB and 250 MB Rollovers (expire Jan 14)? Right now (Jan 12 @ 1230am) they're down to 5.01 GB total, and it's all come out of the 4.14 GB Rollover. On Jan 15 they'll lose 1.25 GB leaving about 3.75 GB carried over instead of 4.40 GB.

I think they'll be okay with the 3.75 GB but am having trouble seeing the logic. Unless the reporting is inaccurate and gets fixed at renewal?

Thanks.

Answers

• Dapfizzer
    Dapfizzer Posts: 10,182 ✭✭

@Andrew W. #28210

Hi Andrew,

I suggest you to directly contact the customer service to resolve this isue. You can do it by opening the following link: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/status-services and simply scroll down until you see the green bubble, than click on it to start your chat session with the customer service.

They'll surely be able to help you.

You can also do it on Facebook: https://facebook.com/fizzca.

-By private message on Twitter : https://mobile.twitter.com/fizz_ca

-Whatsapp : (438) 393-5814

• Doomdrou
    Doomdrou Posts: 725 ✭✭

In my case, data usage goes as follows:

1. Other members' gifts
    2. Fizz gifts (perks)
    3. Rollover data
    4. Bonus data
    5. Regular data

Data blocks within each category are consumed in order of expiry date (the closest to expire will be consumed first)

• Andrew W. #28210
    Andrew W. #28210 Posts: 16 ✭✭

Thank you both. Given the blocks are listed in order of earliest expiry, I'd have expect it just to peel them off the top. I may try to get this fixed, but TBH they've got enough data that it probably doesn't matter if a bit is used up when it shouldn't be. I'd fight it on principle but you know... ;)

• Philemon24
    Philemon24 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭

[...] why is the 4.14 GB Rollover (expires Feb 14) being tapped [...]

Probably because it was tapped in a previous cycle when it was considered a regular plan data-block (so all other data type were consumed). At the end of that previous cycle, the 4.14GB that was left got carried on this month and tagged "rollover". This usually explains why Rollover data-blocks are tapped in snapshots.

If this is not the case, then IMHO it is a bug. But like you, I would not invest chat time for this small a gap tho in principle I'd like it explained and fixed.

Also, for readers who didn't know, the next data block that will be used is marked with the blue arrow:

• Andrew W. #28210

Thanks, that's possible, but the 1GB is a rollover from 2 cycles ago, and the 4.14GB is a rollover from last cycle (it must have started at 6GB). It makes sense that they've stacked the blocks in order of earliest expiry (and for the same expiry, presumably "will not rollover" before "will rollover").

Good points, and if it were more important I'd chase it. Wanted to make sure I understood how it was supposed to work.

• Andrew W. #28210
    edited January 2022

FWIW, here's what it looks like now. Definitely tapping the one that should rollover again, and not the one that will evaporate tomorrow (unless it's only a reporting issue, which we should know tomorrow when new cycle starts). Down 600MB in the last 4 days, and it SAYS it's been taken from previous cycle's rollover instead of preprevious cycle's. And your final comment about the blue triangle confirms they should be taking from the about-to-expire rollover.