New Fizz Home Internet, but only getting 10mb/1mb instead of my plan 120mb/20mb

Options
Hex
Hex Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited January 2022 in Internet

I've seen these posts before, has anyone gotten this resolved? I signed up on saturday morning hoping this would be a smooth transition from a different service, but its been quite frustrating getting 10mb/1mb when my job requires uploads of atleast 10mbps up.

I've done the necessary troubleshooting steps such as rebooting my modem using the button at the back of it using a pin (to wait 35-40 seconds to have it factory reset) after 15 minutes of leaving the device on during first setup. I even used the modem as a bridge and used my own router on the side.

From what I've gathered, there's some kind of provisioning system that gives you your internet speed within the next 24 hours once your modem/router is set up at home. If this doesn't happen, we need to contact support again. They told me to wait another 24 hours (48 hours total so far) to have them solve this problem. Well its been 48 hours, I will have to contact them a THIRD time.

It's now monday and after speaking with support daily, it still hasn't been resolved. Is support usually this slow? I start work today and this is really getting on my nerves as i wont be able to do my job efficiently waiting for my internet speed to unlock.

Also, will i get charged for the time i have this poor internet speed? I just need this resolved asap.

Best Answer

Answers

• Philemon24
    Philemon24 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭
    Options

Hello @Hex

I believe you did all that was required; measure, assess and chat. It was resolved for some...after a while (I agree , not what a client wants to hear).

The issue was common recently and is probably that when you activated the plan, the system didn't provide the right speed immediately (BUT SHOULD) and to correct this issue, you MUST chat with tell Fizz to let them know. Which you did.

Source: https://forum.fizz.ca/en/discussion/2629198/new-fizz-home-internet-but-only-getting-10mb-1mb-instead-of-my-plan-120mb-20mb#latest

Unfortunately, I also believe you will get charged for that period because it is done automatically. Nonetheless you can certainly ask for a compensation.

In the meantime, a temporary solution could be to use mobile data such as hotspot or tethering for you computer. It's not great I know but at least you'd be working for a while. Or maybe a neighboor has some wifi to share.

FYI :

• the factory reset requires at least 30 minutes, to let firmware upgrades do the job.
    • using your own router is probably the best setup.

• Hex
    edited January 2022
    Options

UPDATE: I've contacted support just now and was advised to wait till tomorrow. I was told the internet speed will update at midnight tonight.

To anyone who might have this issue in the future, this seems to be the only way to get the correct speed if their system fails to provide you the correct speed the first time:

1. Wait 24 hours after modem is set up the first time; If speed remains locked, contact support.
    2. Wait another 24 hours as they have escalated your issue; If speed is still locked, contact support once more.
    3. Repeat as needed (contact support) if issue persists.

Apparently, this is common as my friend who had signed up on the same day as I did is also having this issue.

Good luck new users, stay strong 😂😂

• Dapfizzer
    Dapfizzer Posts: 10,182 ✭✭
    Options

@Hex

This is the main reason for my suggestion, this problem is new but has been recurring for a few days. However, when the desired speed is finally at the rendezvous, everything should be fine for you and your friend.

• EnJay
    EnJay Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Options

I have the same problem. New install here since today, same speeds.

Please update this thread when able: it might benefit us as well.

Stay strong: 10mbit reminds me of 1998.

• Hex
    Options

Update: 4th Day now. I contacted support and told me to wait once again. I never thought support would be this slow. I'm just about reaching my absolute limit and might as well move back to my older provider, this is ridiculous. I'm simply stuck waiting God knows how long for them to simply give me the internet speed I require.

They explained the problem but they made the resolution to it sound like a simple provisioning issue. But now it seems they're taking God knows how long to complete this task.

• Hex
    Options

Final Update: Finally issue was resolved for me.

This discussion has been closed.