Is it OK to place an object on top of the Fizz modem?

BobLeore
BobLeore Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited January 2022 in Internet

I know the manual says not to place an object on top of the modem but has anybody done this regularly without problems? It does not seem to generate much heat at all so I can't see why not.

Best Answer

• PF_Ref_D2U9A
    PF_Ref_D2U9A Posts: 5,661 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

There are air vents all around the modem. I think the modem will get hot if any of the air vents are blocked off.

If the manual says not to do it, why would you want to risk breaking the modem and paying for a replacement?

Answers

• jfmartel
    jfmartel Posts: 57 ✭✭

Manual clearly says to not put something on it. Why would you think they asked someone to write that in the manual? For fun? You are asking for problem.

• BobLeore
    BobLeore Posts: 5 ✭✭

What the manual says and what people do in practice can differ markedly (ever read a table saw manual or almost any appliance manual nowadays with five pages of safety precautions?). I was merely canvassing the community to see if anyone has tried and what their experience was.

• Deh
    Deh Posts: 573 ✭✭

If you lack space that much, put your modem on top of everything. I don't think it will overheat if you block the top part, but just to be sure, don't block it

• Hello, as the others have pointed out, you shouldn't block any of the vents on the modem, the vents allow the warm air to escape and keep the modem from overheating and then failing. It is always good to place your modem in a spot where it won't be disturbed, allowed to get dusty or covered up.

• Zenthar
    Zenthar Posts: 517 ✭✭

The Fizz modem is notoriously low-end; even if you don't have to pay if it breaks prematurely, would you be happy to wait 1-3 days for a replacement if it does?

• Sickboy
    Sickboy Posts: 105 ✭✭

I would not do what the manusl recommsnds not to do. It will most likely over heat and fail prematurely.

• Damien L. #2266
    Damien L. #2266 Posts: 29 ✭✭

The faraday cage seems a good option.

• Vesper
    Vesper Posts: 31 ✭✭

The Fizz modem comes with a sticker on top of the air vents that says to be removed before use. If you can't keep a sticker on top, you should assume to avoid putting objects on top as well. ;)

This discussion has been closed.