Buying phone from fizz

Cl0ut1eR
Cl0ut1eR Posts: 12 ✭✭

I have a few questions, let's say the phone is 600$ but Normally is 800

If I choose to pay one shot 600$ the phone is mine. So I don't have to keep my sim for 2 years?

If I pay with pay bright, it's 25$/months. If after a little while I want to quit, can I pay the rest of the 600 or do I need to pay to the full 800?

The warranty is really not a warranty, its just The default manufacturers warranty.is there a real warranty if I drop my phone or something?

Lastly, is there a promotion or anything when we buy a phone or bonus? Because I think I remember there was something when the option started.

Best Answer

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Actually it is quite clear. When you see a phone that has the price scratch out and another price next to it, that is a "Promo" price which is on condition that you maintain a contract (24 or 36 month, depending on the discount. For the Pixel 6 for example, the price is $800 like you said. If you buy it at the $600 price, you agree to the terms listed below. If you don't want to agree to a 24 month term, then you pay the $800 and phone is yours.

This limited-time offer consists of applying the promotional rebate indicated on the suggested retail price of the phone in question. The rebate is conditional on (i) maintaining for an uninterrupted period of 24 months a Fizz mobile plan that is already active at the time of the phone’s purchase or (ii) activating a Fizz mobile plan within 7 days of receiving the phone in question (for members who do not already have an active Fizz mobile plan) and maintaining it for 24 months. If either condition is not met, you will be required to refund the prorated portion of the promotional rebate corresponding to the number of months remaining in the initial 24-month term.

So basically, Fizz is giving you the $200 discount if you agree to maintain a 24 month plan. IF you DON'T activate a plan within 7 days, you will owe them the $200 discount they gave you. If you take or have a plan already, you need to maintain it for 24 months from purchasing the phone otherwise you will need to refund them the proportional amount for the amount of the discount and time. So if for example you cancel the plan in 12 month, you will only have done 1/2 of the required term, so you will owe them 1/2 of the $200 discount they gave you. If you cancel after 6 months, then you would owe them $150. Think of it as a monthly rebate of $200/24 (so about $8.33) over the next 24 months. If you cancel early, you will owe them $8.33 multiplied by the number of months left for the 24 month term. It's not much different than the TAB systems other carriers have, it is just that they do it is a little differently, and not extra penalties for cancelling early, other than the prorated amount of the discount that you don't qualify for.

Paybright payments have nothing to do with Fizz. You are dealing with a separate company for that, and that is just a financing plan for a certain amount. They give Fizz their money up front, and then you pay paybright, just like you'd pay a bank for a loan.

What do you mean by the warranty is not a warranty ? The warranty is the legal manufacturers warranty. There is NO EXTENDED warranty, and there is no claim of any extended warranty. No basic warranty will cover the phone if you drop it. But the phone is a legit retail sold phone which is legal to be sold in Canada and therefore does qualify for the manufacturers warranty. Unlike many "international phones" which you find on various marketplaces, which are NEW, but do not qualify for any warranty since they are not intended to be sold in Canadian Market.

Now if you want extended warranty that also covers accidental damage, then I strongly recommend you get your phone directly from Google, and add a the Google Preferred Care option. It obviously comes at a cost. And as far as I know, the Prefered Care addon can only be purchased for devices purchased directly from Google, within up to 15 days after purchase. Unfortunately, google has decided that you can't add it to a device purchased through a carrier.

Same applies for apple devices and AppleCare, but the difference is I do believe Applecare can be added to devices regardless if you buy them from Apple directly or your carrier. And you have 60 days from purchase to add it.

In terms of promos, I know most people received some perks not long ago (beginning of the month I think), but they are specific to each account. In my account, I see a $100 discount on any phone. You can check your account and see if any perk exists.

Think about it... WHY would Fizz sell you a phone at $200 less than Google, and possibly even give you a $100 perk, saving you $300 if they get no benefit from it. Their mark up, is NOT that high, and surely they won't take such a hit with nothing in return.

If I could get a new Pixel 6, for $500 ($800 retail, minus $200 Fizz discount, and minus $100 Perk), without having to agree to a term, I would jump on it. But nothing is for free :)

Hope it clears things up.

Answers

• Fethi H.
    Fethi H. Posts: 16 ✭✭

you right, nothing clear, i am still hesitating, also except apple phones, google ones, samsung and cheap ones are maybe international version with two sim cards that doesn't perform well in north america.

don't talk about warranty, its like you are buying them from the dark web

if they are serious they will care about your questions

good luck

• Cl0ut1eR
    Cl0ut1eR Posts: 12 ✭✭

Thanks emporium you answered all my questions very clearly.

• Deh
    Deh Posts: 573 ✭✭

With that I just bought a new phone, it's a nice bonus and I feel like staying with fizz for 2 years is not an issue

• Leifuer
    Leifuer Posts: 496 ✭✭

Thank you so much for these details!!!

This discussion has been closed.