Activate sim overseas

Manila
Manila Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited December 2021 in My Mobile

I posted a message a few days ago about activating a sim abroad. It’s since been closed, but I wanted to follow up. I need a Canadian phone number for verification purposes - and there comments indicating that I wouldn’t be able to make or receive calls. I’m fine with that. I just need to be able to receive texts. With that said - can I activate a sim abroad, and be able to receive texts? That’s all I need.

Answers

• Dapfizzer
    Dapfizzer Posts: 10,182 ✭✭

@Manila

Hi Manila,

as already been said, yes, you can activate it from anywhere in the world since this procedure is done online.

You want to use your cellphone while abroad?

1. To use your cellphone during your trip abroad, you need to buy a Travel Add-On or add funds to your wallet to pay as you go.

Can’t decide if you need a Travel Add-On or should pay as you go? It depends on how long you will be away and how much you will be using your phone while roaming. If you will be travelling for a long time, choose a Travel Add-On (it’s more affordable, and will be valid until the end of your next payment cycle). If you’re going on a short trip, paying as you go will be more practical.

2. Make sure to activate the roaming option of your phone, or else it'll block your usage. 

Important : You will not be able to make calls while roaming outside your Canada or the United States.

In the meantime, you will be able to use data, and send/receive texts when you travel outside your coverage zone. To make and receive calls, you can use messaging apps such as WhatsApp or Messenger.

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/im-travelling-outside-my-coverage-zone-what-are-my-roaming-options

*When you are roaming, incoming texts are the only usage that is free of charge.

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/im-travelling-outside-my-coverage-zone-what-are-my-roaming-options#5

• MyriamC
    MyriamC Posts: 920 ✭✭

You need to have an address in Québec. What type of texts ? From what company/organization ? Premium text messages are not supported by Fizz

If you see FIZZ EXT as the network name on your phone, this means you are no longer on the Fizz network. You can use your Fizz mobile services thanks to our agreements with partner networks, but the majority of your usage, however, must be done within your subscription area (whatever your coverage area is). Learn more about the usage limits while on partner networks. 

Incoming texts are always free, whether you’re within your coverage area or not, and whether you opted for unlimited texts or not. 

Premium text messages are not supported by Fizz. As such, it’ll be impossible for you to send any (even if you have funds in your Fizz wallet) or subscribe to such a service. Some premium messages are free. Those will therefore be considered as regular texts, and as such, billed at the applicable rate if your plan does not include unlimited text messaging.

Some text messages sent by businesses such as 2-step verification messages may not be sent to your phone properly. 

We continue to gradually roll out this type of service so that it operates optimally with as many companies as possible.

When you are outside your coverage area, you’ll have to pay per use:

• The price will vary based on the travel zone where you are. 
    • You’ll be able to send a text from any country included in your travel zone, to any of those same countries (and to your coverage area).
    • Click here to see the steps for pay per use.

Troubleshooting: https://fizz.ca/en/solutions/text

• Manila
    Manila Posts: 3 ✭✭

I have an address in Ottawa which I believe is ok? That being said I need verification texts from banks and. Credit card companies. It sounds like I won’t be able to receive them…I guess I’ll need to check other options. Thanks!

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭

@Manila

I know this is an old message, but keep in mind that You cannot use it for more then 3 consecutive months outside local region

https://fizz.ca/en/faq/partner-networks

We reserve the right to interrupt or block access to our network of partner providers Fizz EXT if you use your mobile service primarily on their networks for 3 consecutive payment cycles.