What ping/latency would I be getting w, w/lo ethernet if I signed up for the 60mb/s D and 10mb/s U?

Options
Madi135135
Madi135135 Posts: 1 ✭✭

I am currently with virgin mobile. My experience has not been very good with them. I am trying to find another internet service provider. Now, I have 50mb/s download and 10mb/s upload. The internet has been unstable. Some days it's good, and some days it gets really slow. My main concern is the ping. I am a pc gamer and want the lowest ping possible for competitive gaming. I currently have 24 ping, which I do not want to have, and Virgin cannot do anything about it. Does Fizz have lower ping, as stated in the question above? 

Best Answer

• MyriamC
    MyriamC Posts: 920 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Fizz is using the Videotron's network. I have 120/20 and my ping is 16 ms on wifi with my computer but I think it all depends on where you are located.

Answers

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Options

@Madi135135

I also have the 120/20 profile and my pings are pretty nice.

Just ran a speedtest from my laptop.

Oh ya, and this is wired, since all my devices are wired in my home. My phone on WiFi, I tried 2 or 3 times and I get 12ms/13ms.

• Zenthar
    Zenthar Posts: 517 ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Options

I also get around 9-11ms when I ping Google's DNS (8.8.8.8) using a wired connection.

• Jacques_Assert
    Jacques_Assert Posts: 159 ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Options

Wired through a device performing fq_codel QoS, I see the full 120/20 with 9ms ping.

I could probably push it towards 134/22, at the risk of more variable latency.

The best way to check latency is with dslreport speedtest.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/69871089

The BufferBloat measurement will tell you how variable your lag is.

The higher the number, the worse the jitter (lag variance).

That's why I sacrifice a little ultimate speed for much better consistency by using fq_codel QoS.

• TrainFood
    TrainFood Posts: 144 ✭✭
    Options

not bad to be honest

This discussion has been closed.