Unable to add international calling pack for United Kingdom

KSwiss
KSwiss Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited January 2022 in About my account

So I understand that plan changes can't be made in the last 48 hours of an existing billing cycle. I've now waited and I'm 28 days left in my current cycle.

I'd like to add an international call add-on for the United Kingdom, but for some reason I get zero packs that appear when I search for the United Kingdom. I've tried other countries and results appear, but for some reason nothing comes up for the UK. Does Fizz not support calls to the UK?

What are my options to call the UK from my coverage zone of Quebec, Canada? I saw some recommendations in the forum suggesting I add funds to my wallet, but it looks like funds are for within your coverage zone- so this won't help me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated- at this point I'm so frustrated with this block I'm thinking of quitting Fizz :(

Best Answer

• KSwiss
    Answer ✓

Yes it's very disappointing :( I'm waiting for more info from the representative to confirm if adding funds to my wallet are really the only way to call out to the UK- I saw some other posts that mention it's at a rate of 2$/min which is insane...

Further questions I asked are:

1) what happens if the call exceeds the funds in my wallet- is the call terminated or is the difference charged to me.

2) even though I can't call out, can I still receive calls from the UK?

I'll update this post with the answers so future users can have all the details.

Answers

• KSwiss

I just got a response from Fizz on messenger...seems like there are no longer calling packs for the UK offered by Fizz.

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    edited September 2021

Hi @KSwiss

That is very strange. Looks like a system glitch. Like you said, I can bring up all sort of other countries (France, Poland, Croatia, etc..) , but when you go to bring up the UK, it goes blank.

Unfortunately, here we are all just users like you, so not much we can do on our end.

You can contact a customer service agent to see if they can do anything, or at least flag it to the back end people who work on the site.

• Sign into your account
    • Follow the link on this page: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/status-services
    • Wait 3 seconds for the green bubble with a '?' appears at the bottom right of the browser, if you use a phone you must use it in desktop or horizontal mode
    • Choose the option 💬 chat
    • If the green bubble does not appear make sure your ad blocker is disabled, otherwise try with another browser.

EDIT: Wow.. Just saw your own reply. That is very strange. It is not that it is a tiny country with few carriers. I would have thought it was a glitch on the backend.

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭

Considering Fizz is a Pre-paid service, I would assume that the call get's cut off. But always good to confirm.

For the receiving called, that should not be a problem. Receiving calls, local or international, makes not difference, since there is not charged anyhow. They are like any other incoming call.

If you make frequent UK calls, it would be cheaper to just install something like TextNow app, and buy international credits (I think it is $5 blocks at a time) and calls to the UK are only $0.02/minute. If you have WiFi, then obviously won't use data. But even if need to use data, it is vert small amounts anyhow.

• KSwiss

Yes you're correct, seems like the call will be cut off if I don't have the balance necessary to cover the call.

It sounds like I also need money in my wallet to receive calls. The response from the support agent:

Also, if the person who calls you has the roaming function activated, international calls in his plan and you have money in your wallet, you should be able to also receive calls from the United Kingdom.

Just waiting on a final question- which is what is the per minute rate to call to the UK. I'm hoping it's cheaper than 2$ a minute!

On a side note, thank you for the recommendation of TextNow! I had never heard of this app, it looks like a perfect solution. I really appreciate your help!

• KSwiss

The per minute charge for a call to the UK is 0.25$

Hope this helps out the next person looking for answers about international calling packs that aren't available.

• ruckus
    ruckus Posts: 2 ✭✭

Still no call pack available for the UK. I just added funds to my wallet and called a UK landline. The 10 dollars was drained in ~4 minutes. So it looks like it's around $2 a minute. Looks like I'll have to find another way.

• Hello @KSwiss, download a calling app from the app store for your mobile OS. Most, if not all, offer very low rates for calling international numbers. I suggest you read reviews and look for app that doesn't require many permissions, has clear policies and developer responses to reviewer complaints. Another option to check would be to add money to our Fizz wallet and use a service like 10-10-710, but best to ask Fizz Customer Service if this will work with their pre-paid set up.

This discussion has been closed.