Harrassed with spam calls since moving to Fizz

Options
Coralie
Coralie Posts: 2 ✭✭

I moved my phone number from Virgin to Fizz last week. Since then, I have received on average 3 to 7 spam calls a day - it used to happen maybe once a month with Virgin so I have a feeling it has something to do with Fizz. Are they selling our phone numbers to distributions lists? I blocked the numbers but they call from a new number every time and it looks like they're close to me (Quebec/Ontario). I am on a job hunt so I answer every time, thinking it could be a recruiter. It's getting exhausting realizing one by one these are all spams!! Anything that can be done?

Answers

• PF_Ref_D2U9A
    PF_Ref_D2U9A Posts: 5,753 ✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hi Coralie

Unfortunately spam calls can happen to anyone and with any provider.

What happens when you answer the call? Is anyone on the other end?

If you are getting robocalls, you can let them go to voicemail and they will eventually stop calling.

If it gets too annoying, you may consider changing your phone number if this is a suitable option.

• Coralie
    Coralie Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I understand that but the fact that I just moved to Fizz and suddenly the number of spam calls increased drastically doesn't seem like a coincidence! Sometimes there's someone talking on the phone (always the same guy, who mentions a different marketing company name every time - I ask to stop calling and he gets mad) or sometimes it's robocall. I've had my phone # for a decade and really would rather not change it (especially in the midst of job searching) so really hoping these calm down. Just today, I've received a call every 40 minutes 😐️

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hi @Coralie

I am not with fizz for my mobile service (just internet), but I get weeks and months with virtually no spam calls. But then I will have a week were I get 2 or 3 calls a day... And since I typically don't use my phone much, I have nothing included (not even incoming calls - all pay as you go) so every time I answer, it costs me :(

I am not in the situation like you are (expecting calls whcih can be from random numbers), so I've gotten to the point that if I don't recognize the number, I just let it go to voicemail.

I think it is just coincidence.

You say "have a feeling it has something to do with Fizz". But reality is, there is no incentive to Fizz to sell our numbers (annoy customers to have them port back out). However, if you think about it, the provider that is losing your number (Virgin/Bell) in this case, have nothing to lose by making a last buck on out ported numbers. And Bell is so borderline "shady" on their business practices, that I would not discount anything.

This discussion has been closed.