How does rebate work on new phones?

Options
Sumeet Duggal
Sumeet Duggal Posts: 10 ✭✭

So I see the offer on Samsung Galaxy S20 FE at $475 with suggested retail price $950.

Small print says this - "This limited-time offer consists of applying the promotional rebate indicated on the suggested retail price of the phone in question. The rebate is conditional on (i) maintaining for an uninterrupted period of 24 months a Fizz mobile plan that is already active at the time of the phone’s purchase or (ii) activating a Fizz mobile plan within 7 days of receiving the phone in question (for members who do not already have an active Fizz mobile plan) and maintaining it for 24 months. If either condition is not met, you will be required to refund the prorated portion of the promotional rebate corresponding to the number of months remaining in the initial 24-month term."

So my question is if I buy the phone today at 475 and then can't continue the Fizz plan for 24 months, then what do I need to pay? e.g. let's say that I stop Fizz services after 12 months, what is the amount that I need to pay? Thanks

Best Answer

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    Options

The key there is the statement "you will be required to refund the prorated portion of the promotional rebate"

So in effect the rebate is $475, over 24 months. So for every month they calculate the rebate as $475/24= roughly $19.79 per month,

So if you leave after 12 months, you will owe FIZZ $19.79x24 months = about 237.50 (which is half of the original rebate, since you only stuck around for 1/2 the required time).

Hope it is clear.

Answers

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭
    Options

Emporium explained it perfectly. It should be clear now. Basically you pay the full price for the months you are not a subscriber to Fizz anymore.

• Sumeet Duggal
    Sumeet Duggal Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Options

Sure. Thanks for the answers!

• Johanne M. #3059
    Johanne M. #3059 Posts: 115 ✭✭
    Options

It's not very clear on the site but I"m with fizz since beta tester so I think with the price I have I will stay lol