Is it easy to switch to fizz?

Options
dolphin
dolphin Posts: 15 ✭✭

I have great internet plan with Altima 100mbps for 57$ but obviously fizz has bit better deal tho I’m not sure if the experience is the same or better and if switching is even worth the hassle for the rewards !

Best Answers

• vanigh
    vanigh Posts: 328 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It all depends on what you want and need, switching to Fizz is painless, tecnician will bring the router verify your signal, either you or he/she install it for you.

Cancel Altima connection after Fizz is installed and running.

Fizz internet is pretty reliable and they don't throttle.

In Case you decide to Switch you can use my Referral Code here.

https://community.fizz.ca/questions/2198337-place-referral-codes.

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I switched from Altimatel yesterday, so below is my experience. Had no issues with Altima service and prices until my recent yearly bill (would pay yearly). The price jumped over 30%, and I even reached out to them to see if they can give me something better for being a customer for nearly 5 yrs, and refered over 20 friends and collegues. Even after my referral bonus balance, and a 1 time $25 discount they offered me, was still over $100/yr difference for nearly same service. And next year the difference would be even higher. So decided to switch.

Well I had install scheduled for yesterday (Aug 13) for 12-5pm, and the tech showed up at around 12:30. My Altima service is set to finish on the 23rd. The 10 day overlap was on purpose to ensure no issues. And on the 23rd (when the Altimatel sub finishes), it is the start of my son's return to class (online again), so can't afford any downtime.

The videotron Tech called me when he was outside.. Brought the modem in, gave me a 15' piece of spare coax (which I asked for - for my final install), he checked the signal strength on the cable I asked him to connect it on, and he started the activation of the modem, by scanning the bar code. That was it, and he left. No hand-holding (and I am fine with that).

I Plugged everything up, turned on the modem, it started to go through sync process, and it did that for about 10 minutes. But just as I got an email from fizz, saying "welcome", the sync completed and connected. Guess it took some time to actually activate from when the tech sent the request. Once it synced, I connected laptop to modem for testing. Connected to modem IP (192.168.0.1) and it asked me to setup wifi. I did it, it rebooted, and then I reconnected, this time at lgot a ogin prompt, use user: "cusadmin" and the wifi password you set up earlier. Then you can browse all the available options. noticed it was at firmware 2.x BUT.... within about 2 minutes, the modem/router rebooted itself... Figured GREAT!!!! gave it a few minutes (actually went and had lunch), and then when I connected again to 192.168.0.1, it asked me again to set up the wifi.. Oh well, I did it all again all over. But this time after going through the steps and connecting again after the setup, I noticed the firmware is now up to version 7.x. Guess it was pushed the new firmware so everything was reset in consequence.

NOTE: To save yourself the headache, plug the modem in, and leave it for 45 minutes to do any updates it has to do (and all it's updates), before messing with it.

Got that out of the way, so ran some tests... Speeds look pretty good for the 120M plan. Pings are great @ 4ms. Got anywhere from 4ms to 9ms, depending on the server it connects to, which is normal. I got nearly 30M more download speed (since I was on 100/30 profile before), but I will miss the extra 10M upload I had previously.

For now I am running both cable modems in parallel (Altima service expires on the 23rd). Surprised they work together, but not complaining.

This weekend I will go ahead and disable the gateway function of the modem (ie: put it in bridge mode) and swap the modems out properly, and use my own OPNSense router/firewall and access points which are already set up.

So far, so good. NO complaints.

Super simple switch. Got a $25 referral from a member of another forum (just missed the new previous $50 referral credit and the new $50 referral - oh well, no biggie).

--------------

If anyone needs, you can also use my referral code from here to get us both a $50 referral bonus:

https://forum.fizz.ca/en/discussion/comment/6582228/#Comment_6582228

• Emporium
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have well over 30 devices (IPTV boxes, VoIP, laptops, PCs, VPN server, a few NAS servers, security cameras, phones, tablets, some IoT, etc..). Family of 4, and daddy is a geek, so got more computer equipment than I should :)

For the coax, when the tech came in to bring the modem he brought a 15' segment of coax with him (I guess just in case, to avoid trip back to truck). So before he left, I asked him if he would mind leaving me the 15' piece for my final install which would be in the basement, and he had no issues. He stripped it on the spot, crimped on 2 coax ends, and left it to me.

For the average users, the modem/router they provide is perfectly fine.

Living in an old home where I have a lot of plaster walls with wire mesh behnd them, it effectively creates a faraday cage and a nightmare for decent WiFi. Also being a little bit of a geek for tech, and being in the networking field, I like to keep many of my devices separately. So when something fails, it is only 1 device I need to replace and not worry about the rest. So I have my own firewall/router, which runs on a mini industrial grade PC with dual ETH connections, and running OPNsense. I have used everything from an ASUS AC3200, a Cisco ASA device, and a ubiquiti edgerouter, but for the performance/flexibility, I like the OPNsense box. To that, I have 3 Cisco 2802i wireless Access points with centralized WiFi controller to overcome the wire mesh chaos.

So, I am not the ordinary home user. So for me, the router features of the modem are something I don't need.

• Emporium
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ya, mine went from $46/m to $64/m for the 120M plan (on yearly prepay). That is just too much of a jump. They offered me a 1 time $25 additional discount, but was still substantially more.

Will be switching my mom probably soon, and in her case, the mode/router fizz provides, will be plenty.

Switching the modem to bridge is in my opinion "a must" of you already have your own router and want to keep it. Switching the modem to bridge modem, will effectively render it the same as the modem you have from Altimatel now (Hitron CDA-RES or otherwise). It will effectively be a modem, with NO router functions. And router functions would be handled by your existing router.

If you don't switch it to bridge mode, and want to use your router, you would essentially be doing a double NAT.. Adding latency and potential issues.

If you presently have a cheap router, and don't care to keep using it, then you can surely use the modem/router combo they are providing and remove your router from the equation.

• gogoer
    gogoer Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I switch from altima to CIK, now to Fizz, everything works well with fizz. It is worth to switch.

• Yourboi
    Yourboi Posts: 188 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I’m pretty sure it’s fast to switch internet.

• Ozzy
    Ozzy Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I changed from bravo telecom to fizz last month. I wish, I changed far earlier. Speed went from 100 to 120, the price went from 49 to 50 however with two upgrades the price decreased to 47 :) win-win situation :)

The wi-fi modem is not so powerful however it is okay for me.

Technology is a funny thing. I always had way powerful wifi modems provided by internet providers 10 years ago while I was in my home country in Istanbul. I was shocked that I had to buy a router for wifi and only Bell was offering a wifi modem when I came to Montreal in 2013. Finally, I have a wifi modem :)

Back to topic, don't think change. :)

• Ozzy
    Ozzy Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hmm, sorry. There might be a comma missing and it makes a totally different meaning :) I tried to say: no need to think, you need to change :)

Here is what the sentence should be "Back to topic, don't think, just change. :)"

• Kevin P. #2908
    Kevin P. #2908 Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

FIZZ is basically Videotron. It's the same quality of service.

• gogoer
    gogoer Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

now internet price is up to $60 from $50 for 120M.

Answers

• dolphin
    Options

That’s great! Thanks a lot for sharing your experience!

Couple questions how many devices do you connect? I have like 10 devices so I’m bit worried!

And how did you ask for the (15' piece of spare coax) ?

and why are you planning to to not use their router? Is it because yours is better or they just gave you good modem with bad router?

thanks in advance!

• dolphin
    Options

That’s cool! unlike you I’m just a teenager who watch over tech stuff for my parents and I’m just looking for good, best price internet for my family and fast one for gaming. Well I use ethernet and already have router but I was wondering if switching to bridge hassle thing is necessary. Altima raised the price for me from 50$ to 57$ and didn’t care that much until I saw fizz, tho didn’t see much people praising it or even talking about it on internet so I was bit worried.

• dolphin
    Options

Well I have TP-LINK Archer C7 router, but I was confused setting up 5GHz, because most my family likes watching Netflix so we were advised by this router.

• Emporium
    Options

I have well over 30 devices (IPTV boxes, VoIP, laptops, PCs, VPN server, a few NAS servers, security cameras, phones, tablets, some IoT, etc..). Family of 4, and daddy is a geek, so got more computer equipment than I should :)

For the coax, when the tech came in to bring the modem he brought a 15' segment of coax with him (I guess just in case, to avoid trip back to truck). So before he left, I asked him if he would mind leaving me the 15' piece for my final install which would be in the basement, and he had no issues. He stripped it on the spot, crimped on 2 coax ends, and left it to me.

Living in an old home where I have a lot of plaster walls with wire mesh behnd them, it effectively creates a faraday cage and a nightmare for decent WiFi. Also being a little bit of a geek for tech, and being in the networking field, I like to keep many of my devices separately. So when something fails, it is only 1 device I need to replace and not worry about the rest. So I have my own firewall/router, which runs on a mini industrial grade PC with dual ETH connections, and running OPNsense. I have used everything from an ASUS AC3200, a Cisco ASA device, and a ubiquiti edgerouter, but for the performance/flexibility, I like the OPNsense box. To that, I have 3 Cisco 2802i wireless Access points with centralized WiFi controller to overcome the wire mesh chaos.

So, I am not the ordinary home user. So for me, the router features of the modem are something I don't really need.

• Emporium
    Options

So, I am not the ordinary home user. So for me, the router features of the modem are some

• telmorrr
    telmorrr Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Options

wow!!

This discussion has been closed.