Re: Internet

Joey5518
Joey5518 Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited March 2021 in Internet

1- I live in a small townhouse. 3 Story. Will the modem reach all 3 floors?

2 - I have Ebox.25mbs. Usually, get 20-22. Will fizz 30 work well?

3 - Is it reliable. Ebox has been cutting off at odd times for a minute or 2. Will this happen with fizz?

4 - can I use someone's code to get $50 before April? I already have fizz mobile.

Best Answers

• MichelP
    MichelP Posts: 8,733 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi, Joey

I live in a small house two with 3 floors.

I'm with Fizz for the residential internet more than 2 years.

I dont have problem with the Fizz modem at all. The modem is located to the basement.

I would suggest to subscribe to Fizz internet residential without reserv.

If in the future, you will experiment some problems with the wi-fi network

some Fizz users disabled the band steering and the ATF.

Dont hesitate to subscribe for this service!

• Dgjf
    Dgjf Posts: 3,052 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

You have no obligation to buy a router. But, in my experience, all router included with a plan with all provider have low capacity and having a proper router is always a better solution :)

But again you dont have obligation an can use the modem who is givin with the plan

Answers

• Dgjf

1 - Sorry i dont know (i use my own router and not the router fonction of the fizz modem so you can do the same if the fizz modem dont do the jog)

2 - Sure 30 is 25 more than 25 so you will be fine

3 - No problem on my end but i use my own router and not the router fonction of the fizz modem

4 - No you already are a Fizz client the refferal is for new client only. But if you really want it you can create a secound accout but you will have to manage this two account and two separated bonus list(level)

Do you use Ebox with the internet by coaxial cable ? If the answer is yes its the same network used by Fizz.

Have a nice day :)

• Dgjf

1 - Sorry i dont know (i use my own router and not the router fonction of the fizz modem so you can do the same if the fizz modem dont do the jog)

2 - Sure 30 is 25 more than 25 so you will be fine

3 - No problem on my end but i use my own router and not the router fonction of the fizz modem

4 - No you already are a Fizz client the refferal is for new client only. But if you really want it you can create a secound accout but you will have to manage this two account and two separated bonus list(level)

Do you use Ebox with the internet by coaxial cable ? If the answer is yes its the same network used by Fizz.

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭

Personally I found the CODA Modem provided by fizz not to be reliable and never gave me the speeds I paid for. I purchased a NetGear Wifi 6 Router and only use the Fizz provided modem in bridge mode. This has been working great for me.

I suggest you do the same. Depending on the router, this should give you enough coverage for the house. I doubt that the Fizz provided modem will get you coverage for the whole house. This is only my personal experience though and yours might differ.

• Dgjf

Yep use your own router is so mutch better :)

If you take this route : https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-can-i-use-my-own-wi-fi-router-fizz

• vanigh
    vanigh Posts: 328 ✭✭
    edited March 2021

Fizz Internet signal is pretty stable most of the time, depending where your Fizz modem is located in your 3 story house, somewhere in the middle is the best bet, howver the best advise is to have the fizz route/modemr close where you need internet the most or, installing a Mesh network which costs a bit...

you can use signal boosters and repeaters through out your house but this gadgets drop connections, and not very reliable in my honest opinion.

I hope this helps. :)

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭

1- 3 floors? By reading many comments about Fizz' router strength for that kind of building, I'd suggest you only use Fizz' device as a modem only (called "bridge"). And provide a different way to propagate the signal (add a personal but strong router coupled either with a mesh network or repeating devices or range extender or Ethernet cables or fiber optic or ...).

2 - Got 25mbs and get 20-22, will fizz 30 work well? I usually get 1 to 2Mbps more than my plan when going full throttle. So yes absolutely.

3 - Is [Fizz] reliable? I never had to worry.

4 - can I use someone's code to get $50? I already have fizz mobile. No, it's for the onboarding only, it doesn't apply for subsequent services.

• Joey5518

Good answer

• Barry L. #924
    Barry L. #924 Posts: 43 ✭✭

Three floors is tough for a single router. I have ethernet throughout the home and have routers on each level. Maybe overkill but signal is strong throughout

• hedmark
    hedmark Posts: 0 ✭✭

1- Doubtful, the modem/router combo that's supplied is quite poor. I would suggest using a seperate router to get better wifi range

2 - Since you have ebox 25mbps, I believe that's DSL/FTTN, so it's not really comparable. Assuming your cable hook up is good, you shouldn't have an issue with fizz in terms of speed. In my experience, you generally get 10% more speed than advertised with cable.

3 - Again can't really compare your ebox service and fizz. The modem fizz provides does have some issues with ping spikes while gaming, this is probably caused by the puma chipset used by hitron (the modem manufacturer). It can be mitigated a bit by using the modem in bridge mode. For general browsing, streaming, wfh stuff, it's quite reliable, never had my internet cut out.

• Joey5518

Having received a few responses, they all tell me I have to buy a router. It is not worth the move to Fizz.

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭

The Coda modem has an entry level router. Consider it as an added value if you do not have already have your own router. And it makes sense if Fizz only wants one device for its first years (less maintenance, debuging, etc).

If you add the Internet service to Fizz you get a 1$ instantaneous rebate per month (on top of an already competitive price) because you already have the mobile plan. Over time, you will cover the extra cost of extending the wi-fi signal with the method of your choice. For instance @Dgjf showed us a great and relatively cheap solution lately going through your electrical outlets , there are other models : https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/d-link-d-link-powerline-av2-2000-gigabit-starter-kit-dhp-701av-dhp-701av/10389309

This discussion has been closed.