Can you buy a phone without it being on a plan?

Erin
Erin Posts: 1 ✭✭

Fizz has a good price on a phone, that I would like to purchase for my husband (not a Fizz member, but might be in the future). Can I buy it without having it associated with a plan/phone number?

Best Answer

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

If there is a rebate, you must stay for 12 month .

There are fine prints on some phones when a rebate is shown. But I think it applies to the account purchasing it (you), not the provider that will use the new phone (your husband).

This limited-time offer consists of applying the promotional rebate indicated on the suggested retail price of the phone in question. The rebate is conditional on (i) maintaining for an uninterrupted period of 12 months a Fizz mobile plan that is already active at the time of the phone’s purchase or (ii) activating a Fizz mobile plan within 7 days of receiving the phone in question (for members who do not already have an active Fizz mobile plan) and maintaining it for 12 months. If either condition is not met, you will be required to refund the prorated portion of the promotional rebate corresponding to the number of months remaining in the initial 12-month term.

Answers

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭

It should be possible as long as you yourself are a fizz member. Otherwise you wouldn't have access to the purchase platform. The phones are unlocked and Fizz even created a third party credit provider in case you want to pay for the phone in instalments. This means that you are never locked in a contract and the phones can be used by anyone.

• StefanM
    edited March 2021

Of course, my suggestion was without rebates! Thanks for highlighting it @Idefizz 😁

So if you buy the phone without promotional rebates, it should be fine as long as Erin states a Fizz member. The phone can always be handed over to their husband and used even with a different provider.

• Dgjf
    Dgjf Posts: 3,052 ✭✭

You can but you will have to attatch the 12 month period to your number.

@StefanM i dont think you can buy without rebate i dont see any option for that when you buy you have to choose new plan or existing plan.

• StefanM

You can, at least I could. However, I was eligible for the Beta so it might be different for new users.

• Dgjf

But without rebate you just pay the regular price so what is the advantage to buy from fizz if you dont get the "good price" ?

• StefanM

Nothing, but I don't think that's what the question was about. As I understood it, Erin just wanted to know whether its generally possible to do and the answer is yes but without a rebate :)

• Dgjf

Maybe your right but the question start with <Fizz has a good price on a phone> so i thnik she want the rebate. But yes both way she get all possible answer :)

• StefanM

True, you might be right. Could be that. We haven't heard anything though, so maybe the problem has been solved already.

This discussion has been closed.