Anyone here tried an eink smart phone ?

Options
Emmanuel S. #36497
Emmanuel S. #36497 Posts: 235 ✭✭
I'm looking at getting a Hisense A5 Pro CC (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001568910063.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.58f22e0esczAp1) It's a color eINK phone.
I'm looking at getting something that will discourage me from wasting too much time on my phone and give me better battery life while also retaining android auto functionality.
I fully realize the drawbacks of eINK, I have had several eink devices, same refresh rate as a flipbook, ghosting if you do pump up the refresh rate etc... But in this cae it would be a plus, would still let me read articles, but would suck for games and videos etc..

Answers

• Fizzy
    Fizzy Posts: 10,924 ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Emmanuel

I hope you will reach this self-improvement goal.

I had a look at the specs, but I have not tried this brand. Do note that this phone is not fully compatible with Fizz LTE network. This phone does not support the 1700 MHz frequency band.
    https://fizz.ca/en/faq/compatible-devices#3
  • Fizzy
    Fizzy Posts: 10,924 ✭✭
    Options
    Have you considered getting a lower to mid range Samsung, LG or Umidigi phone?

If you are interested (you must be at least account level 5), Fizz is selling these new phones:
    - Samsung Galaxy A10e (32 GB) for $170
    - LG K41S (32 GB) for $140
  • Emmanuel S. #36497
    Options
    Thanks Fizzy. I currently have a s10e, so not looking for low end phones with "traditional" screens, my current phone is fine for that. I'm more looking for feedback on the eink screens (vs an oled or lcd based display).
    I see it supports FDD band B3 that has 1710-1785 mhz uplink and 1805-1880 mhz downlink, would that not work ? Looks like B1 and B3 are wider (and overlap) than the B4 frequencies, would that work ?
  • StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭
    Options
    I love this initiative! In a time in which we are all starting to depend on our smartphones and spend more and more time on them, it‘s refreshing to see somebody wanting to do things differently! Bravo ! :-)
  • Sharpie22
    Sharpie22 Posts: 401 ✭✭
    Options
    I never tried it but would definitely give it a go...
  • Gabriele G.
    Gabriele G. Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Options
    I’ve never heard about that brand but it may be worth a try. If you buy it, you could share your experience.
  • StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭
    Options
    One of my friend had like a very basic e-ink smartphone that could only do calls, text message, E-Mail and pictures. He loved it.
  • chiriko
    chiriko Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Options
    This is interesting. I went all eINK with my books and writing tablet (notebooks).. but never heard of eINK phone. Thanks for informing us about it. Would be interested to hear your experience, please keep us posted!
  • Emmanuel S. #36497
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback, looks like this phone wont work ont he Fizz network, but I'll keep looking! If I ever get one I'll be sure to post here about it
This discussion has been closed.