Does Android messages for web count towards sms usage?

Nowadays with FB messenger I barely text anyone so I decided to remove unlimited SMS form my plan, add funds to my wallet and simply pay 5¢ a pop. Wifi calling is not yet available on Fizz, but I was wondering if Android messages for web (messages.google.com) still worked counted as "standard" SMS and cost funds.
Any idea?

Answers

• Mudkipuwu
    Mudkipuwu Posts: 46 ✭✭
    I didn't know Wi-Fi calling was a thing... I did a quick google search and I think you're misunderstanding the Wi-Fi calling. Wi-Fi calling is only used to expand the cellular coverage (i.e. You're in the basement with low cellular signal. Instead of using the low cellular signal, your call will connect to the Wi-Fi instead of the low cellular signal for a better call quality).
    So in short, you can't use Wi-Fi calling to save minutes. That's not how it works. However, if you're on Wi-Fi... you can always use Skype, Discord, Facebook message to text/chat for free yes.
  • Matthew A. #24717
    Matthew A. #24717 Posts: 375 ✭✭
    I think these count as an SMS through your phone.
    “ Check your messages on your computer
    You can use your computer to chat with your friends through Messages for web, which shows what’s on your Messages mobile app. Messages for web sends SMS messages using a connection from your computer to your phone, so operator fees will apply, just like on the mobile app.”
    https://support.google.com/messages/answer/7611075?hl=en-GB
  • Mastaiso
    Mastaiso Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Hi Cédric,
    Yes it does because it’s using your google account and your phone is sending the message
  • Philip D. #28440
    Philip D. #28440 Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Have you tried this? Did you get charged $ 0.05 A message?
This discussion has been closed.