ethernet cable CAT?

hebert
hebert Posts: 3 ✭✭
i want to buy an extension ethernet cable but i need to know how many CAT i should buy.... 5 ? 6? does it make a difference?

Answers

• Mike
    Mike Posts: 20,641 ✭✭
    Cat5 100mbps
    Cat5e 1000mbps
    Cat6 1000mbps

For couple of meters cat5 is good enough
    I am sure at 99% that the cat5 cable is a cat5e therefore more than enough for soho users
  • SuperFizzeur
    SuperFizzeur Posts: 3,776 ✭✭
    Hi Hebert!
    I would recommend you to buy a Cat6 Cable!
    Situation 1, making a backup with a Cat5 cable:
    The computer is connected to the NAS with a Cat5 cable.
    The bandwidth of a Cat5 cable is 100 Mbps.
    10,000MB (byte) is 80,000 Mb (bit). 80,000 / 100 = 800 seconds.
    The time required for making a backup, with a total size of 10GB, will be 800 seconds with a Cat5 cable.
    Situation 2, making a backup with a Cat6 cable:
    The computer is connected to the NAS with a Cat6 cable.
    The bandwidth of a Cat6 cable is 1000 Mbps.
    10,000MB (byte) is 80,000 Mb (bit). 80,000 / 1000 = 80 seconds.
    The time required for making a backup, with a total size of 10GB, will be 80 seconds with a Cat6 cable.
    It's been a pleasure to assist you today! Have a great day :)
    Don't forget to mark my answer as the best!
  • Mike
    Remember, these values are garantie for ~200 meters by the standard ( I do not remember the right value)
  • SuperFizzeur
    @Mike is wrong.
    For cat5 100 meters up to 100mbps.
    For Cat6 100 meters for slower network speeds up to 1000mbps and higher network speeds over short distances. Gigabit Ethernet 55 meters is the maximum with 33 meters in high crosstalk conditions.
    Cat 5 have more interference than CAT6. Cat5 support frequency up 100mhz and Cat6 up to 500mhz.
    It's been a pleasure! Have a great day! Don't hesitate to mark my answer as the best! :)
  • Mike
    Yes Mathieu ~300 feet, I was remembering the wrong value, 600. therefore an huge ~ (and if you read carefully I wrote I do not remember the right value)
    In the meantime it is very difficult to find cat5 cables, usually are cat5e
  • SuperFizzeur
    Mike, thats okay :)
  • Leonard_G
    Leonard_G Posts: 250 ✭✭
    As said Mike and Mathieu, depend your utilisation...
    Real geeks will take Cat6 everytime but often will not use it often at the maximum potential (if any...).
    If you are confortable for the price difference, go for Cat6.
    If you are a normal user and the price difference is significative ; go for Cat5
    (once a month if you back up your entire system it will take 10mn more and that's it)
  • Takion
    Takion Posts: 330 ✭✭
    you do not really need more than cat 5e but since there is not much price difference better get the cat 6 it will be useful in the future needs
  • Takion
    Takion Posts: 330 ✭✭
    you do not really need more than cat 5e but since there is not much price difference better get the cat 6 it will be useful in the future needs
  • TheMMc
    TheMMc Posts: 489 ✭✭
    It's depend how long do you need it but I suggest you 5e, 6 or even 7. The cat 6 and 7 are shielded so they are not vulnerable to interferences. The cat 7 can be cheeper than the cat 6 just shop them. if you don't have any electromagnetic filed around the wire you can buy an 5e but at this point just putt a couple of dollars more to get a get cable.
  • Sylvieb
    Sylvieb Posts: 1,600 ✭✭
    hello, I hope your problem is solved. can you please choose your best answer.thank you and have a nice day
This discussion has been closed.