Xbox 360 can't connect to WiFi

Cannot connect Xbox 360 to the WiFi network. Can connect to the LAN via cable. Tried inputting manually a static IP, and did not help. Tried connecting via a guest network, did not help. Frustrating.

Answers

• Maxim D. #14338
    Maxim D. #14338 Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Kk, I tried turning band starring off, it had no effect, however switching to b/g/n allowed Xbox to connect to the network, but still, it failed connecting to the Internet. Are there any ports that are blocked or smth? Again, hardwire LAN between router and Xbox works fine.
  • samisheikh
    samisheikh Posts: 192 ✭✭
    Hi Maxim, glad to hear you can finally connect to the WiFi network. You might want to go into your modem -->Security-->FIrewall, and check if the settings of your firewall are set to maximum, typical, minimum or custom also check Port Blocking and make sure that is disabled, if it is enabled, then add your xbox to the trusted PC List. Also make sure that there is no Device Filter in place.
    I also noticed on Microsoft's website that the following ports are required to connect to Xbox live but they should be taken care of by UPNP/Port Triggering:
    Port 88 (UDP)
    Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 80 (TCP)
    Please check if Port Triggering is enabled in the modem by going to Basic-->Port Triggering
  • samisheikh
    I just checked M$'s website and the following ports need to be opened but UPnP/port Triggering should already take care of them:
    Port 88 (UDP)
    Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 80 (TCP)
    You can check if Port Triggering is enabled by going to Basic-->Port Triggering
  • kk
    kk Posts: 143 ✭✭
    most probably there are some other settings saved in your xbox, you might want just reset them:
    Reset the network settings - wireless. On your console, go to My Xbox, and then select System Settings. Select Network Settings. Select Wireless Network. Select Configure Network. Move right on the D-pad to access the Additional Settings tab and select Restore to Factory Defaults. Restart the console.
    then try to set up wireless connection again, it should work. I dont think it is the issue with ports, as they are quite common, just make sure you are connecting to 2.4ghz network, as 5ghz might be out of range to have internet connectivity (even if you are connected), if your modem is not close enough to your xbox. By the way, make sure that the channel for your 2.4GHz network in router wireless settings is set to auto.
    p.s. if you tried port forwarding/port trigerring in your router, you'd better reset the modem/router as well. as normally the settings by default should be fine and those are easy to mess up.
  • Maxim D. #14338
    Maxim D. #14338 Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Guys, only setting the 2.4ghz network to b/g/n did the trick. Xbox connects to the internet via Wifi! Thank you!
  • samisheikh
    Hi Maxim,
    I am glad it all worked out for you! Enjoy!
  • kk
    kk Posts: 143 ✭✭
    @Maxim, glad it helped and it works! have fun with your xbox!
    to help others, please tell us if you had to reset your xbox settings or only setting to 2.4ghz b/g/n was enough? you can choose the corresponding response as solution then. thanks
This discussion has been closed.