873 area code?!

I am in Sherbrooke, QC, and am trying to help my wife set up her new phone plan (after moving in from the US) with the Canada and USA plan. She doesn't have a local number, so we are selecting New number during SIM activation. The address entered is right. The typical area code here is 819. But our only options are 873 numbers. That'll spell long distance to anyone living here, so what gives? Is there a way to get the right area code for where we live?

Answers

• Melyssa S.
    Melyssa S. Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Ah, I mean, when I looked it up earlier, it said 873 was for central and western qc. I was aware that we share our 819 area code with Gatineau, but I didn't know we also had the 873 here. I don't know ANYONE with that area code, nor have I ever called anyone with that number, ever. And a lot of us in the family got our phones later than 2012, so it really gave me pause.
    Is there a way to request the 819 area code, then? What with support being hard to reach and all?
  • Jonathan C. 2531
    Jonathan C. 2531 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    I would have preferred an 819 number as well, because 873 is very new to Sherbrooke, but it's definitely still local.
  • Jonathan C. 2531
    Jonathan C. 2531 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    Fizz doesn't seem to have been allocated any 819 numbers to give out. Fongo is also offering 873 numbers for Sherbrooke, so I'm guessing 819 is starting to run out and we'll be seeing more 873s here soon. If you really want one, you could open an account briefly somewhere that does have an 819 number option and then port it in.
  • Anne H. #1344
    Anne H. #1344 Posts: 648 ✭✭
    Fizz shouldn't have LD charge if it's QC to QC.
This discussion has been closed.