Will I need a text plan to access MMS, or will a data only plan suffice?

makeminemusic
makeminemusic Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited August 1 in My Mobile
An idle question I had, while waiting for my data-only SIM card to arrive.
Thanks for any insights.

Best Answer

• OlivierRobert
    OlivierRobert Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

If you and the person that receive the text have imessage or rcs you will be able to text For normal text you need data to send picture if I remember correctly So for now you cant text between iphone user and android users since iphone doesnt support rcs but they will support it this fall

Answers

• wenhan
    wenhan Posts: 838 ✭✭

MMS is sent through data/wifi so theoretically you shouldn't need text to receive it.

• rakibul
    rakibul Posts: 254 ✭✭

To my knowledge, For Fizz Canada, you will need a plan that includes both text messaging and data to access MMS. Fizz's MMS functionality relies on having a text messaging plan along with data. Here are the specifics:

Text Messaging Plan: To send and receive MMS, you must have a plan that includes text messaging (SMS). MMS messages are processed through the carrier's messaging system.

Data Plan: MMS messages use data to transmit multimedia content. Therefore, you need a data plan as well. However, having data alone is not sufficient; the text messaging component is essential for MMS to work.

In Fizz's case, ensure your plan includes both SMS and data to use MMS effectively.

• jvh_NVPF2
    jvh_NVPF2 Posts: 638 ✭✭
    edited July 26

I have a no text option on my plan. When I send a plain text SMS it will deduct $0.05 from my wallet.

When I sent a picture via MMS, it did not deduct anything from my wallet.

If you use any supported RCS app you will not need texts on your plan as these are sent via data. However you will need to ensure your recipient can use and receive RCS messages. But if for whatever reason this transaction cannot take place RCS messengers will default to SMS and you will not be able to send it.

If you're using traditional internet based messengers (Whatsapp/Signal/Messenger) there will be no issues as those will also be sent via data.

• makeminemusic
    makeminemusic Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Meant to add, only for receiving MMS.
    My SIM showed up so I'll be doing dual-sim, this one for data only, the other with another provider.
This discussion has been closed.