Thinking about switching to Fizz - Question about roaming

Options
hogofono
hogofono Posts: 4
edited March 2 in My Mobile
Hi -

I'm about to switch to Fizz (CAN/US plan) from Rogers but I need to understand exactly what happens when I'm outside of Canada or the USA to my incoming calls and sms.

Currently my strategy to keep costs down is to purchase a esim for data when I travel. But I absolutely need to know that I'll be able to see incoming calls and read incoming texts. I don't want to pay to answer them or send sms. I call back as needed using Voip.ms or Whatsapp etc.

Does my Fizz line connect on the local cell network globally or is it crippled and won't work in different countries like public mobile for example.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Answers

• elena code xzi4t
    elena code xzi4t Posts: 4,763 ✭✭
    edited February 21
    Options

Hi

im short it will work exactly how is working in Canada, therefore, calls in USA and Canada will be included without extra cost, if you have unlimited calls for sure

the only limitation you cannot use for more then 3 consecutive months in USA

If you need a referral code and you don’t have one in order to get the 25$ at your 2 payment you can pick mine is on my name after code or one from here https://forum.fizz.ca/en/discussion/2198337/this-is-the-place-for-your-referral-codes-here-and-only-here

• elena code xzi4t
    elena code xzi4t Posts: 4,763 ✭✭
    Options

I forgot to mention in order to be able to use the phone in USA your phone must be certified VoLTE by fizz

check on this list https://fizz.ca/en/faq/compatible-devices

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Andrei_ref_R7VK1 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭
    Options

Currently phone calls are working in Canada and US only (for US you should have VoLTE certified phone by Fizz). Data and SMS are available globally with the travel add-ons (incoming SMS are always free).

• Michael P. 72994
    Michael P. 72994 Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Options

If you roam out of Canada or US, you have no chance to receive a normal call. But you can receive text for free, and I think you may use data too.

• Michael P. 72994
    Options

I meant use data for free, as much that you had on your plan. But for that you have to check with others.

• Michael P. 72994
    Options

What I suggest for you is to forward you calls to another number, as local call. See here https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-do-i-set-up-call-forwarding?_gl=1*haul85*_ga*MTc0ODk5MjU4MC4xNzA4NjQ5MDg0*_ga_J34MDEW0ZM*MTcwODY0OTA4NC4xLjEuMTcwODY1OTUyMi40Mi4wLjA.

Some other VOIP services with local numer are available (like skype, or google or similar), you may activate forwarding from your FIZZ to that local number and receive the call wherever you are on planet Earth (almost) :)

Also, you may buy a local card, and eventually [buy a long distance for that country (5$) and forward Fizz to that number]. This is subject to check with Fizz, as they state forward is to a local number, and said nothing if a number in a country you bought long distance can be considered "local". Please check with Fizz.

• Michael P. 72994
    Options

Correction: "Also, you may buy a local card,..." I meant in the destination country, not here in Canada.  

• hogofono
    hogofono Posts: 4
    Options
    Can someone confirm the incoming SMS work globally? This is critical for me. Thanks!
  • Sheridon
    Sheridon Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Options

Hi Hogofono, I have travelled to the Caribbean, USA and across Europe with my Fizz phone and incoming SMS work just fine, no issues at all.

• Kovid
    Kovid Posts: 588 ✭✭
    Options

Yes, calls, texts and data work in Canada and the USA if you subscribe for the Can/USA plan.

Outside Canada and the USA, data will work if you buy an international data add-on for a specific country/region.

Incoming texts are always free and work globally as long as your phone is not off and is not in airplane mode.

• Code:8CE6H
    Code:8CE6H Posts: 8,176 ✭✭
    Options

Yes SMS work hogofono

This discussion has been closed.