Does buying a new phone with fizz is considered a plan change for existing customers?

Options
Jean-Francois A. #11868
Jean-Francois A. #11868 Posts: 1 ✭✭
edited November 2023 in Phones

Hi there,

I'm with Fizz since 2019 and never changed my mobile plan. My phone is getting old now and I'm looking to replace it.

Many new phones offered by Fizz are discounted right now. I also received a discount perk which is nice.

So, I was in the process to order a new one when I noticed the rebates are conditional to staying with Fizz for 2 more years. Not super clear, but it sure looks alot like a new contract lock to me.

I like Fizz and don't really mind staying with Fizz for 2 years, but I really don't want to alter my plan in any way and, of course, I want to keep its price as it is right now.

Any thoughts? Is there clear info about that somewhere? Should I just buy somewhere else?

Thank you.

Best Answer

• NinjaMarky
    NinjaMarky Posts: 1,624 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

you're in luck. you can keep your plan (or change it as you wish) and get a new phone from fizz at the discounted price... as long as you keep using a fizz plan for 24 months

here is the official line from fizz:

This limited-time offer consists of applying the promotional rebate indicated on the suggested retail price of the phone in question. The rebate is conditional on (i) maintaining for an uninterrupted period of 24 months a Fizz mobile plan that is already active at the time of the phone’s purchase or (ii) activating a Fizz mobile plan within 7 days of receiving the phone in question (for members who do not already have an active Fizz mobile plan) and maintaining it for 24 months. If either condition is not met, you will be required to refund the prorated portion of the promotional rebate corresponding to the number of months remaining in the initial 24-month term.

also take a look at this faq for more info: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-buy-phone-fizz

The beauty of buying a phone with Fizz is that there are no restrictions on your Fizz mobile plan. Your phone purchase is kept separate from the price of your mobile plan:  

• You create the mobile plan you want, whether it’s big or small, to go with the phone you choose. 
    • You can change your plan as many times as you like. You are not stuck, and only pay for what you need each month.

If you have lots of unused data on a given month for instance, that data will roll over to the following month. So you may choose to reduce the amount of data included in your plan (and therefore pay less for that month) to benefit from that rolled over data.

Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Jean-Francois A. #11388

No buy a new phone will not change your stabilization price

When you buy the phone with a rebate associate you need with stay with a fizz plan activate for 24 month, otherwise, you need to reimburse the rebate, which is calculated dividing the rebate per 24 and paying for the months that you leave. https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-do-promotional-rebates-offered-some-phones-sold-fizz-work

• Easygolucky
    Easygolucky Posts: 1,089 ✭✭
    Options

It's great to hear that you're considering upgrading your phone with Fizz, especially with the discounts and the perk you've received. Your concerns about the conditions attached to the rebates and the potential implications for your mobile plan are valid. Here are some thoughts and steps you might consider:

1. Terms of the Discount: It's essential to understand the specific terms of the discounts being offered by Fizz. Some discounts might indeed require you to commit to staying with Fizz for a certain period, like two years. This is somewhat similar to a contract, although Fizz is known for its no-contract, flexible plans.
    2. Impact on Your Current Plan: As for your current mobile plan, you should clarify whether taking advantage of the phone discount will in any way affect your plan’s pricing or features. Normally, phone discounts should be separate from your mobile service plan, but it's always good to confirm.
    3. Reading the Fine Print: I recommend reading the fine print of the offer very carefully. Look for any clauses related to plan changes, price guarantees, or penalties for leaving Fizz before the two-year period.
    4. Contact Fizz for Clarification: Since this is a specific and important concern, reaching out directly to Fizz customer service would be a good step. They can provide clear information on whether your current plan’s pricing and features will remain unaffected if you take advantage of the phone discount.
    5. Alternative Purchasing Options: If you're uncomfortable with the terms or if there's any ambiguity, buying a phone from another retailer is an option. This way, you can keep your mobile plan with Fizz as it is, without any additional commitments.
    6. Community Insights: Sometimes, other Fizz customers share their experiences with similar offers on Fizz’s community forum. Checking there might give you some insight into how others have handled similar situations.
    7. Consider Future Flexibility: Think about whether you're comfortable with the commitment. Even if you plan to stay with Fizz, having the option to change providers without penalty can be valuable.

This discussion has been closed.