120Mbps net plan, but recently the net speed is very very slow at around 40Mbps

Options
Muyi
Muyi Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited September 2023 in Internet

I have the network plan with 120Mbps download speed. But recently the net speed is very very slow at around 40Mbps. What happened?

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Andrei_ref_R7VK1 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Try to test the speed while connected via Ethernet cable. If you are testing on on your phone you can use Fizz Wi-Fi application to test it as well.

• Muyi
    Options

Have already contacted to a support and followed the steps to use Fizz app to test. It showed 143Mbps from Internet to Moderm, 69Mbps from Moderm to Device. But the live chat ended unexpectedly, not sure what happend.

• Muyi
    Options

By the way, I stand just next to the router to get this speed. When I sit in my room, the speed is around 43Mbps again

• Muyi
    Options

After going to 192.168.0.1 page and looking at the connected devices, I noticed that my ipad-mini uses up about 500M bandwidth (if I understand correct?) under the DataRate column.

• Muyi
    Options

I disconnect my ipad-mini and test again both on mobile Fizz app and www.speedtest.net on PC, the results become 63Mbps on Fizz app and 50Mbps on PC.

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Andrei_ref_R7VK1 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭
    Options

I guess these results are on Wi-Fi. Try what @Jess_i88b6 suggested above as Fizz Wi-Fi app shows there's no issue with the speed.

• Muyi
    Options

Thank you! I have separated into two channels.

Test on PC (www.speedtest.net) in my room: 2.4G channel shows 80Mbps download, and 22Mbps upload. 5G channel shows 25Mbps download, and 22Mbps upload.

Test on Fizz App close to the moderm: 2.4G channel, Internet -> 150Mbps -> Moderm -> 70Mbps -> Device. 5G channel, Internet -> 147Mbps -> Moderm -> 418Mbps (wtf) -> Device.

Test on Fizz App in my room: 2.4G channel, Internet -> 142Mbps -> Moderm -> 54Mbps -> Device. 5G channel, Internet -> 139Mbps -> Moderm -> 232Mbps -> Device.

Test on mobile (www.speedtest.net) close to the moderm: 2.4G channel 42Mbps. 5G channel 130Mbps.

Test on mobile (www.speedtest.net) in my room: 2.4G channel 43Mbps. 5G channel 120Mbps.

I understand that 5G channel signal is bad at penetrating through walls. Or maybe my PC's network card need update?

So can I conclude that everything is ok actually?

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,086 ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

The 5G is more sensible to obstacle and probably your PC is a bit less "sensible/deaf"

Moreover, Fizz modem has an average wifi (also due to its internal antenna), I personally gained at least 50% more coverage with an Asus router

Try to move the modem, sometime a different position can improve a bit the coverage, RF probably you will work better having a different signal rebounds

This discussion has been closed.