Is this Fizz HFC is actually FTTN?

Options
paulB219
paulB219 Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited September 2023 in Internet
Hello

1## I am currently using Altima FTTN 45$/50Mbps but then I was looking at this Fizz plans and spoke with a rep on messenger chat, they said their internet is like "The system that we use for internet is HFC (hybrid-fiber-coaxial). It is fiber outside the house and coaxial inside."
It gets me even more confused, if it's cable internet then I guess my existing FTTN is better. Not sure if HFC is FTTN. We know there is FTTN, FTTH(only specific buildings), DSL, cable

2## And also please let know if it's really worth switching to Fizz where they don't have "over the call" support but just chat where the queue is like 57 and then when you're at position 1 then for some reason you're thrown back to 47.....

Best Answer

Answers

• Easygolucky
    Easygolucky Posts: 1,089 ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hi I would recommend switching to fizz! I did it and its way cheaper. Also you get a referral code for $25 off and when you share it with your friends they also get $25 off so you can keep saving making the plan cheaper!

• Easygolucky
    Easygolucky Posts: 1,089 ✭✭
    Options

Also you can always post a comment or question here and people answer pretty quick :)

• EricPD
    EricPD Posts: 152 ✭✭
    Options

FTTN and HFC are similar in a way: it’s fibre optic to the neighborhood and then copper wire to the house. However, the copper part is totally different: FTTN uses VDSL2 on phone line, while HFC is DOCSIS on coaxial cable.

HFC networks usually offer higher speeds than FTTN networks.

reliability depends on copper line quality. Some areas have better phone lines, some have better coaxial cables.

Overall, I think HFC is usually better than FTTN

• paulB219
    paulB219 Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options
    > @EricPD said:
    > FTTN and HFC are similar in a way: it’s fibre optic to the neighborhood and then copper wire to the house. However, the copper part is totally different: FTTN uses VDSL2 on phone line, while HFC is DOCSIS on coaxial cable.
    > HFC networks usually offer higher speeds than FTTN networks.
    > reliability depends on copper line quality. Some areas have better phone lines, some have better coaxial cables.
    > Overall, I think HFC is usually better than FTTN

Thanks for clarification here. I will try and see how it goes, already subscribed
  • Andeping
    Andeping Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Options
    I don’t think it’s profitable and it’s worth wasting time, it’s better to immediately look for an alternative
This discussion has been closed.