Poor call quality (no VoLTE)

Options
Evgheni
Evgheni Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 2023 in My Mobile

Hi, I switched recently from Fido to Fizz to get CAN-US coverage. The downsides of this move are lower coverage and, what's more important, very poor voice quality.

I already tried Fizz a few years ago, when no VoLTE was available and then switched away because of the poor sound. This time I really was expecting to get some improvements.. However I feel I am back in 1990x again.

I bought a new sim card (june 2023) with a red flash on it. My phone is Huawei P30Pro. When I had Fido sim in it I had VoLTE and WiFi Calling options ON. Once I installed Fizz's sim both options disappeared. Mobile data goes over LTE (status icon), however it switches to 3G and then 4G when in a call.

I tried the same cards with Samsung S23Ultra (listed as certified) - with exactly the same result - no VoLTE and WiFi Calling options.

Did I miss any steps? any activations? anything? Any help would be much appreciated!

I really like Fizz's self-service concept, as well as its packages and prices. Unfortunately, the poor coverage and sound quality completely negate these benefits.

Best Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,313 ✭✭
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Evgheni

Your phone (the Huawei) is not compatible with the Fizz's VoLTE at the moment

However, the S23Ultra is compatible

In the S23, can you try to disable the wifi and make a call in order to check if the call stay in LTE

• AK20230110
    AK20230110 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

It's good to know ✔️, thanks for sharing! I guess there is room for improvement...

To use your own phone with Fizz, your phone must be:

Compatible with the Fizz network

Able to support the frequencies of our network

If your phone does not quite meet these criteria, it may still be functional but your access to certain services may be limited

Source: 👇

https://fizz.ca/en/faq/compatible-devices#2

You can reach customer service on Live chat at anytime : https://fizz.ca/en/support

Answers

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Andrei_ref_R7VK1 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Fizz didn't certify Huawei phones yet unfortunately. For Samsung you can check the status of 4g/LTE during the call it should not be changing to 3g/H+.

• Sébastien code ZXEL1
    Sébastien code ZXEL1 Posts: 7,045 ✭✭
    Options

huawei is not compatible fizz volte the s23 ultra it is compatible

samsung connects automatically volte

• Evgheni
    Options

Thanks everyone for your answers!

It looks like the list of supported devices is very limited, though.

TESTED: I can confirm that certified Samsung S23 Ultra (with latest updates of July 11, 2023) does not support VoLTE when connected to Fizz. There is no corresponding option in Mobile Networks. When I initiate a call, the cell icon switches from LTE+ to LTE and shortly to 4G (and remains 4G while call is in progress).

Connected to Fizz:

Connected to Fido:

• Gablav91
    Gablav91 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭
    Options

The Huawei is not compatible with the Fizz's VoLTE at the moment. I’m sorry.

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    edited July 2023
    Options

If it remains on 4g/LTE on your Samsung it means that you are on VoLTE.

Check similar post here:

https://forum.fizz.ca/en/discussion/comment/6704591

• Sébastien code ZXEL1
    Options

you are well in volte if its remains in 4g

• Evgheni
    Options

Both Samsung and Huawei display 4G while in a call.

From the link @AK20230110 provided:

A VoLTE certified phone activated with a VoLTE compatible SIM card uses the VoLTE when it continues to display “LTE” in the right corner of the screen during a call.

Samsung does not show LTE during the call and displays 4G instead.

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    edited July 2023
    Options

You should be good. In short 4G is the standard, LTE is an "upgrade" of 3G.

• Sébastien code ZXEL1
    edited July 2023
    Options
    • you must not be in 3g
    • Certified VoLTE (not required before the 3G withdrawal, but nonetheless recommended)

This discussion has been closed.