Unlocked?

Options
RGuertin
RGuertin Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited April 2023 in Phones

I brought my own iPhone 8 and am with fizz 2 years now. Going to Europe soon and have to have unlocked phone to use temporary SIM in France/EU. How do I know if my phone is unlocked before travel? Thanks/Merci

Best Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,061 ✭✭
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @RGuertin

Yes it is unlocked

Because Fizz is not the company that locked your phone, we cannot unlock it. Only the provider who sold you your phone (and who locked it) can unlock it for you. Make sure you have your phone’s IMEI and insert your Fizz SIM card in your phone. Then contact this provider’s customer service team to ask for an unlock code and instructions for unlocking your phone. Know that some websites specialize in unlocking phones and will offer this service for a fee.

Good to know: The IMEI is your phone’s ‘identity card’. It allows you to obtain your unlock code. It’s also an anti-theft provision that allows you to identify and block your phone if it is lost or stolen.

Where to find the IMEI?

By dialing *#06# on your phone’s keypad

Under your phone’s battery or on the supporting card that holds an iPhone’s SIM card

On a sticker attached to your phone’s original packaging

In some cases, it will be necessary to reset a phone to its original settings to unlock it. If this is the case, make sure you backup your personal data before resetting your phone. This backup can be restored, if necessary, after resetting your phone.

Don’t remember where you bought your phone? Look in your phone’s settings to find the name of the original provider. Go to settings > cellular data > service operator

To unlock a phone, it must not be declared lost or stolen. If you buy a phone from a private source, verify that it’s not on the National Stolen Device Blacklist by entering the phone’s IMEI on the Device Check Canada website.

Make sure the person who sells you a phone has unlocked it.

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-is-an-unlocked-phone

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Andrei_ref_R7VK1 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Should be unlocked

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,061 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

From Apple

If you see this message on your device with iOS 14 and later, use these steps:

Go to Settings > General and tap About.

Under Carrier Lock, you should see a message that says, "No SIM restrictions." If you don't see that message, contact your carrier.

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201328

Answers

This discussion has been closed.