how to change my IP adress?

Options
JL88
JL88 Posts: 2 ✭✭

I think this topic was cover in 2019. But just want to be sure if its upto date in 2023.

My IP adress was leaked so i want to change it. The technical support from fizz told me that it no possible for them to do it.

I called videotron, They told me to unplug my modem for 48-72h ?

I saw on the previous post from 2019. that just putting the modem on bridge mode and connecting another router should work.?

thanks

Answers

• Sébastien code ZXEL1
    Sébastien code ZXEL1 Posts: 6,804 ✭✭
    Options

@JL88 How can I use my own Wi-Fi router with Fizz?

Disable the Wi-Fi feature of the Fizz Wi-Fi modem

Install your personal Wi-Fi router

If needed, restart both your modem and personal router

Disable the Wi-Fi feature of the Fizz Wi-Fi modem
    1. In bridge mode, the two (2) Wi-Fi radios built into your Fizz Wi-Fi modem will be deactivated, thus disabling its Wi-Fi capabilities.
    • Open an Internet browser and enter 192.168.0.1 in the address bar.
    • Identify yourself using the following login information:
      • Username: cusadmin
      • Password: **enter your Wi-Fi password**
    • Select Basic
    • Select Gateway
    • Disable the option ''Residential Gateway function''
    • Click Ok
    Install your personal Wi-Fi router
    1. Connect your personal router as indicated in its user guide. 
    2. Plug the network cable (RJ45) into one of the four (4) numbered ports of your Fizz Wi-Fi modem.
    3. If there's any issue with the connection, restart both devices (the Fizz Wi-Fi modem and your personal router).
    4. If you want to re-enable the Wi-Fi capability of your Fizz Wi-Fi modem, you'll need to reset it to its factory settings by holding down the reset button on the back of the device for ten (10) seconds.
    If needed, restart both your modem and personal router
    2. This quick video will guide you through each step. But in a nutshell:
    3. Unplug the power cable on your Wi-Fi modem.
    4. Make sure all the lights on the modem turn off.
    5. Wait ten (10) seconds.
    6. Plug your modem back into the electrical outlet. Expect a three (3) minute delay to allow your devices to reconnect to the Wi-Fi network.
    8. Note: If you are also using a personal router, you'll need to restart it as well. 

source https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-can-i-use-my-own-wi-fi-router-fizz

• Sébastien code ZXEL1
    Sébastien code ZXEL1 Posts: 6,804 ✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

@JL88 

yes to disconnect the 48-72 hour it should change ip

• Referral_code_UKS6U
    Referral_code_UKS6U Posts: 453 ✭✭
    Options

"My IP adress was leaked"

Could you share what exactly happened?

I have never heard of an IP address leak, every time you connect to a website or do anything on the internet, plenty of 3rd parties receives your IP address, simply because it is needed to send back data to your browser. There is not much one can do by knowing your IP address, this shouldn't be a concern.

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,065 ✭✭
    Options

Hi @JL88

The DHCP lease is very long, therefore, disconnecting the modem for a long period can help, but I don't know for how long must be disconnect, you can try to disconnecting it for all night for start.

Also you can try to put the modem in bridge mode, and connect your computer to the one of the network port. Connect only one device when you are in bridge.This should expose your computer mac address and force the DHCP to assign a new IP https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-can-i-use-my-own-wi-fi-router-fizz.

You can also check if the fw version that you are using has this menu Admin > IP Passthrough

• Derr
    Derr Posts: 5,474 ✭✭
    Options
  • JL88
    JL88 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I accidently send a document with my wan IP address to a contact.

From what I found on the web...by having my wan IP address..a hacker can pretty much have an access to my network? Is it that easy?

• Jess_i88b6
    edited April 2023
    Options

@JL88

Believe me, hackers are scanning the network for open ports all the time. Easy? If the modem fizz have a bug which can permit to be hacked yes it will be easy, but this knowing or not the bug.

This is only an example:

Suppose that a Fizz modem has a bug which permit to take the control, if I am a hacker I will check all the videotron/fizz subnet and I will run an attack (subnet a group of ips)

• Jess_i88b6
    edited April 2023
    Options

@JL88

Therefore, if the modem has a bug, we may encounter a problem. Otherwise, it will be easier for hackers to infect your device with viruses or malware and take control of it.

For instance, they could if you install any hacked software. Don't worry too much about sharing your IP address, as it is already known by many websites and services, such as Google Analytics and Facebook Pixel.

• Referral_code_UKS6U
    Options

If you type "what is my ip address" on Google, you can see that any website already "has" your wan IP address; I don't think you should worry about it, there is not much to do with it.

• Referral_code_UKS6U
    Options

Also, if you want to be sure to not "leak" your IP address, you need to be connected to a VPN all the time, which will hide your IP address behind the one of the VPN service. But the VPN company will still know your IP address to be able to send internet traffic to you.

• Derr
    Derr Posts: 5,474 ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for the info, didn’t know that too

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    FizzyFizz JQMPM Posts: 6,019 ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for all those info! I really appreciate it

• AK20230110
    AK20230110 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭
    Options

Very informative.