Does anyone know whether one can receive txt messages whie travelling in the US?

Options
HMar
HMar Posts: 4 ✭✭

Fizz says that the issue would be resolved by Spring 2023. Does anyone know whether that has been fixed?

Best Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @HMar

The SIM will be VoLTE, did you order the free one? https://zone.fizz.ca/dce/customer-ui-prod/simcard/free-order?step=quantity

No it will not work right away, since your account should be migrate, they started but I don't know when will be your time to be migrate. However, you can try to force the phone on 2G this should be enough to be able to received the SMS (and I said SMS not the MMS, MMS they need the data)

If your plan will be migrate on the VoLTE technology, yes you will be able to receive the SMS for free without the Canada/US Plan

People reported to be migrated with a plan activated around april 2019

• Jess_i88b6
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @HMar

Non you cannot transfer your Fizz number from one account to another

I believe that your only option is to force the phone to use the 2G, it should work

Since if you activate your SIM with a new number, you should contact all the institution

Check if they allow to use a software like google authenticator, this should work for the email (MS and Gmail support this). Usually the banks no (personally I find it silly :D)

You can also try to put some money in your wallet, some users reported to be able to received calls when in 2G, but you need to pay, and banks and government usually allow to make a call instead an SMS

Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi @HMar

When did you activated your plan?

As of July 2022, if you are travelling in the United States, including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, only the LTE network is available. This means that until springtime 2023, calling may not be possible based on your situation.

When will this issue be resolved?

All depends on your situation.

> If you became a mobile member BEFORE March 16, 2022. 

Calling will be possible again by spring 2023 when Fizz offers VoLTE on its own network. At that time, using a VoLTE certified phone updated with the latest software update and activated with a VoLTE compatible SIM card will allow you to make calls when in the United States. 

> If you became a mobile member ON or AFTER March 16, 2022.

Your plan should already be activated with a VoLTE compatible SIM card. If you are using a VoLTE-certified phone updated with the latest software update, calls and texts will work in the U.S. If it is not, you will only have access to your mobile data.

See the list of certified phones

If you activated after March 15, 2022, you will not have any issue

If you activate before March 16, 2022, you should try to force your phone in 2G network only

For the users that have a plan activate before March 16, 2022, Fizz started the migration to the VoLTE technology, howerver, you shout have a VolTE SIM

Your VoLTE compatible SIM card

Your SIM card connects your phone to the Fizz network now 3G and going to LTE. A VoLTE compatible SIM card is therefore required to stay ahead of the game. This SIM card shows a red lightning bolt icon. 

For the mobile members who currently have a SIM card without a red lightning bolt, Fizz will make sure that each of them gets a FREE VoLTE compatible SIM card.  

Each of these members will receive an invitation to order their free SIM card. This process will take place over several months, so don’t worry if you’re not part of the first batch. 

Once ordered, your new SIM card will arrive by regular mail, along with the instructions to associate it with your Fizz mobile plan. Changing your SIM card for a VoLTE compatible one will not impact your plan or phone number. 

Good to know: To see the confirmation of your SIM card order, go under My parameters > Transaction history > All transactions.

Changing your SIM card for a VoLTE compatible one will not impact your plan or phone number.

How to make a SIM card change 

• Sébastien code ZXEL1
    Sébastien code ZXEL1 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

he has started the migration he is doing his group be patient if you subscribe after March 16 you have already volte

• Jess_i88b6
    Options

@HMar

If you are already VoLTE the incoming SMS are free, you don't need to have a Canada/USA Plan

• HMar
    Options

I became a mobile member before March 2022. I just ordered a new SIM card - I am hoping that the new SIM card will be VoLTE compatible, correct?

Will this allow me to receive texts in the USA (on a VoLTE compatible phone) even without a Canada/US plan?

• Sébastien code ZXEL1
    Sébastien code ZXEL1 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

. if you have paid for your new sim card you can request a refund

• HMar
    Options

Thank you all for the help.

Yes, I paid for the new SIM card (I did not know I could have a new one for free). I will request for a reimbursement, thank you.

Unfortunately, I cannot wait for the migration because I am travelling on Saturday for 1 month. I need to be able to receive SMS because of authentication codes when accessing bank, emails, taxes etc.

I will force the 2G as suggested and hope that will do it.

I also thought of cancelling my current account with FIZZ and creating a new account (forcing a membership after March 2022) but I would not be able to keep my number, correct?

• Jess_i88b6
    Options

@HMar

you can also do this

• Download an app such Textnow and/or Fongo
    • Transfer your calls to this, in this way you will be able to received calls when you are under wifi
  • Derr
    Derr Posts: 5,514 ✭✭
    Options

Have a nice trip!

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    FizzyFizz JQMPM Posts: 6,456 ✭✭
    Options
  • HMar
    Options

Just as a feedback to the community: 2G has been working in the US for me in general. This is indeed a temporary emergency solution until the migration happens. Thank you Jess_i88b6!

• Derr
    Derr Posts: 5,514 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the feedback!