When will Fizz work in the US?

Gabriela R.
Gabriela R. Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited March 2023 in My Mobile

Do I need to do something to the phone to connect properly to the LTE network? Sorry, I don't know the subject matter. I just want my phone to work in the US.

Thank you!

Best Answer

• ah727
    ah727 Posts: 805 ✭✭
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

@sman

I usually travel to Florida but not this year. But I keep in touch.

My son was in Boston last weekend, and he could make phone calls, using T-Mobile. He's an old user (before March 16, 2022) so no VoLTE for him yet. It was pretty straightforward, connect to provider T-Mobile, you are LTE. When you dial a caller, connection falls T-Mobile's 2G GSM. When you hang up, you get back to T-Mobile's LTE.

I use CellMapper app. to see if recent users have connected to 2G GSM transmission towers in eastern United States. North East still uses 2G GSM, as well as Florida.

Recently used 2G towers are mostly located along Florida Turnpike south of Orlando (some 2G connections last week). Since Florida is mostly flat lands, the 2G signal can travel easily 30 to 40 miles, and be available to Eastern coastal areas.

Answers

• Sébastien code ZXEL1
    Sébastien code ZXEL1 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭

@Gabriela R.

Why do some calls and texts when in the U.S. not work?

When will this issue be resolved?

Stay in touch without voice coverage.

As of July 2022, if you are travelling in the United States, including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, only the LTE network is available. This means that until springtime 2023, calling may not be possible based on your situation.

When will this issue be resolved?
    1. All depends on your situation.
    3. > If you became a mobile member BEFORE March 16, 2022. 
    5. Calling will be possible again by spring 2023 when Fizz offers VoLTE on its own network. At that time, using a VoLTE certified phone updated with the latest software update and activated with a VoLTE compatible SIM card will allow you to make calls when in the United States. 
    7. > If you became a mobile member ON or AFTER March 16, 2022.
    9. Your plan should already be activated with a VoLTE compatible SIM card. If you are using a VoLTE-certified phone updated with the latest software update, calls and texts will work in the U.S. If it is not, you will only have access to your mobile data.
    10. See the list of certified phones
    11. https://fizz.ca/en/faq/compatible-devices#3
    Stay in touch without voice coverage.
    1. Here are a few options to make and receive voice or video calls and send and receive text messages: WhatsApp, Google Duo, Facetime and Messenger. 
    2. These apps use data and do not require voice coverage.

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Andrei_ref_R7VK1 Posts: 6,314 ✭✭

If you joined Fizz after March 16, 2022, theoretically you should already have VoLTE activated. The only thing remaining is to have either US-Canada plan or to buy the travel add-on or to have money in your wallet and pay as you go.

PS. Several users reported that even if they had VoLTE activated, voice calls and texts were not working but data was OK. As a workaround they manually switched to 2G and have chosen T-Mobile to have calls and texts.

Hope this helps.

• ah727

@Gabriela R.

Data will work with AT&T and T-Mobile, but for phone calls, it will only work with provider T-Mobile. Phone calls may be difficult if you are indoors.

You can used social media apps for communicating if phone calls aren't available.

• Derr
    Derr Posts: 5,359 ✭✭

That’s a question a lot of people are asking themselves…

• BenLandel
    BenLandel Posts: 30 ✭✭

Having money in my wallet worked one day and didn't worked the next day on my last trip. Was asked to purchase an add-on. Not that big on an issue when you have people on other carrier traveling with you...

• Derr

'' Not that big on an issue when you have people on other carrier traveling with you...''

Ouch...

• sman
    sman Posts: 4,217 ✭✭

Try to follow ah727.

He seems that he is travelling often to the USA with the Fizz's phone

• Derr

Yes and he doesn’t seem to be very satisfied…

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    FizzyFizz JQMPM Posts: 4,619 ✭✭

When did you join Fizz? Do you already have active VoLTE service?

• Gabriela R.

Yes, I do. I see LTE on the screen. I'm now able to get calls. (I joined in 2001).

Thank you kindly for your response.

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 12,944 ✭✭
    edited March 2023

If you joined before the 16th March 2022, I am sorry to let you know, that the only way is to configure your phone in 2G and connect to T-Mobile.

Fizz is supposed to enable during the spring 2023, therefore, it can be tomorrow or in June :(

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Andrei_ref_R7VK1 Posts: 6,314 ✭✭

2001??? At that year even Videotron (mobile) was not existing.

PS. I know that this just a typo 😄.

• Gabriela R.

Well, you caught me. 😁 I don't know exactly when I joined, but it was early on, certainly before the cut-off date of March 16th, 2021. I had it pre-COVID (I'm almost sure!) Oh dear! 🙄

• ah727
    edited March 2023

@Gabriela R.

If you tap your logo (if your account is not private), you should see your Fizz join date. I'm not sure if it's the Fizz account opening date or the Forum's join date though.

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 12,944 ✭✭

That is only when you connected to the forum the first time

This discussion has been closed.