How often do you change phone?

Options
FizzyFizz JQMPM
FizzyFizz JQMPM Posts: 5,725 ✭✭
edited March 21 in Break Room

I currently have a pixel 4xl and I don't see myself changing it in the near future. I usually try to keep a phone as long as I can, even at some cost (like changing the battery). I also find that recent phones actually last quite a lot compared to some years ago! What do you guys think? How long do you rock your phone on average?

Comments

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭
    Options

Too fast :(

• Derr
    Derr Posts: 5,450 ✭✭
    Options

Mind is 5 years old and I intend to keep it as long as it works fine. Not a big fan of the “change it for the new model every year “

• Sébastien code ZXEL1
    Sébastien code ZXEL1 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

every Christmas in the deal my cheap fizz

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Andrei_ref_R7VK1 Posts: 6,450 ✭✭
    Options

If the phone still receiving the upgrades from the manufacturer I am ok, but if it's on end of support I will better change it rather staying on a vulnerable software.

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    Options

What do you think the risks are when you don't receive any support or update?

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Options
  • FizzyFizz JQMPM
    Options

Thank you for the info...

However, even if up to date I believe it could still be vulnerable right?

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    edited March 2023
    Options

Absolutely, but at least manufacturer is still releasing patches to fix those vulnerabilities.

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Options

BTW check this vulnerability related to VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling for Google Pixel and Samsung phones:

https://9to5google.com/2023/03/16/google-exynos-modem-vulnerabilities/amp/

• neverwinter
    neverwinter Posts: 2,031 ✭✭
    Options

Waiting a used one from relatives

• Derr
    Derr Posts: 5,450 ✭✭
    Options

Yeah, gonna take a look

• Faelirya
    Faelirya Posts: 425 ✭✭
    Options

Only when I break it usually. I changed mine last year when a fell and smashed it on the flood D8

I had it for 4

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    Options

Oh sorry for that!

I usually end up changing the after at least 4-5 years because they start to slow down a bit and I start fancing a new phone. It never happened to me to break them actually!

• DanteJo94
    DanteJo94 Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options

Still holding on to my iphone 12 pro since 2020

• Vico
    Vico Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options

Bought a used Samsung Galaxy S10+ 3 years ago and it still works well. The battery is not holding the charge as long as it used to but it is still pretty decent. I have no plan to change for at least 2 years even if I won't be receiving updates anymore, if it's working why buy a new one?

• kkl
    kkl Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Options

Still using a S10 too, have been with Fizz for 2 years and just first time ordered a new phone from them last week and the new phone was lost in transit.... still dealing with this Fedex and Fizz...

Just venting....

• swatt
    swatt Posts: 3,493 ✭✭
    Options

3 years and I give the old one.

• vlac
    vlac Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options
    I keep them for 3 to 4 years, I had a Galaxy S7 for 4 years before getting my IPhone 13.
  • Smilemars
    Smilemars Posts: 156 ✭✭
    Options

I still have an iPhone 8 and waiting for a fizz sale

• thomi_
    thomi_ Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options
    every 4 years probaply
  • Racoon
    Racoon Posts: 309 ✭✭
    Options

If your phone is old enough, fizz is giving you 100$ to change! May be interesting.

• Perlin__31SMN
    Perlin__31SMN Posts: 473 ✭✭
    Options

Every 2 years

• Ale_200810
    Ale_200810 Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options

I still have my iPhone X. It’s getting the newest updates, until IOS 17 gets released. I would intend on keeping it for a few months, but I’ll certainly need to upgrade it eventually.

• WangJason97
    WangJason97 Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options

I use iPhone and one thing that I like about it is that one can use it at least for three years. Currently, I am using iphone XR 128GB which I purchased in October 2018. I intend to use it till 2022, that’s why went with 128 GB.

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭
    Options
  • snow_code_ROZ9N
    snow_code_ROZ9N Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Options

I usually keep it until it is broken. Normally, I will keep it for around 4 years.

• AlexFly
    AlexFly Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options
    I use my phone until it starts freezing.
  • kingTheod
    kingTheod Posts: 173 ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

on yearly basis and sold my old phone on kijiji

buy cheap phone on fizz, enjoy fizz generous discount ($50 or $100) and get great deal !

i could even sell my previous phone at higher price that i bought on Fizz !!

• Ivaylo_Code_W6WLS
    Ivaylo_Code_W6WLS Posts: 390 ✭✭
    Options

I keep as long as possible

• Vasiok
    Vasiok Posts: 1,337 ✭✭
    Options

I usually keep it until it is broken/ not working anymore 😀

• Mohamed B. 52922
    Mohamed B. 52922 Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Options

Many people keep their phones for 2-4 years or longer, like your Pixel 4XL. Phones are indeed lasting longer these days due to improved durability and performance, making it a sustainable choice.

• Zakaria B. #34477
    Options

I change phones whenever it's broken or when the battery lasts for less than 2 hours

• Thierry C. #38944
    Thierry C. #38944 Posts: 225 ✭✭
    Options

I try and keep my phones as long as possible but my phone was become pretty full and pretty slow and the battery was dying pretty quickly... i would've kept it longer even despite that but it not being compatible with Fizz volte i just made the change :)

• Happyfeet
    Happyfeet Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options
    Mine is two years old and still fine so i am keeping it, but it's the first time I exceed two years. I have a LG Velvet.
  • E S.
    E S. Posts: 406 ✭✭
    Options

I never change it - still on a motorola RAZR flip clam phone.

• MCFizz
    MCFizz Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options
    These past many years, i only change my phone if i have to due to technology change like volte or the phone is fubar.
  • Sype
    Sype Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Options
    As long as you are happy with the phone you have, and as long as it accomplish the tasks you wish for it to be used, I think the phone should be changed. ^^
  • Uncaged
    Uncaged Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Options

until it doesn't work anymore lol

• E S.
    E S. Posts: 406 ✭✭
    Options

I change once a year, oh that’s for sure!

• cj23
    cj23 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options
    Agree that once the new updates are not supported anymore i upgrade - some security risks as apple & others are very unclear on how much they continue to deploy fixes on old softwares. recently read an interesting article on this https://www.getorchard.com/blog/ios17-everything-you-need-to-know/
  • authorone
    authorone Posts: 97 ✭✭
    Options

How often people change their smartphone?

every three to four years

A survey conducted by Nevis Security on LinkedIn reveals that 62 per cent of users change their smartphones every three to four years

• zipilgrim
    zipilgrim Posts: 79 ✭✭
    Options

I only change my phone when I'm forced to, either because it has deteriorated to the point where it won't even start or because I move to another country where SIM cards are not compatible (this hasn't been an issue in over a decade though). I still feel that I have to change more often than I'd like. My previous 2 phones lasted 4 years each, but in both cases they became literally unusable at that point, if I had to change them when they were becoming difficult or obnoxious to use they wouldn't have made 3 years. With my last phone in particular it was such an obvious OS problem, I updated and it just killed battery consumption overnight.

• Mariusz S.
    Mariusz S. Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

If you want your phone to last a long time. Get an iPhone. The iOS is much more efficient anything out there.

I'll had my cheap iPhone XR since October 2018 and the battery health is still at 90%

• AlexFly
    AlexFly Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

The frequency at which people change their phones can vary significantly based on various factors, including personal preferences, financial circumstances, technological advancements, and changes in individual needs.

• Claude J. #27154
    Claude J. #27154 Posts: 146 ✭✭
    Options

If anyone have old smarthphone I would greatly appreciate any smarthphone donation. I need more smarthphone

• CharlesMonrency
    CharlesMonrency Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Options
    Once in 4-5 years. But it depends on the battery. If I have to charge it too often and can't leave the house without charger, then it's time to change it.
  • A17
    A17 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭
    Options

When I see a deal offered by Fizz. (Pixel 6a in May 2023)

• BeckJohn21
    BeckJohn21 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

I change my phone every 2 or 3 years. Currently with a iphone 14 Pro max

This discussion has been closed.