big problem - new phone - fizz phone network doesn't work

Options
Phil24
Phil24 Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited November 2022 in My Mobile

Big story but here it goes: 1 year ago, I got a new phone, a Samsung A52 5G. I put the SIM card in and everything was going fine for a few days. Then, out of the blue, started having a problem, randomly, people cannot hear me for 10 to 40 seconds. Very frustrating. After chatting with Fizz, they helped me make modifications to the APN and then everything was going fine, yay!

Whole story here: https://forum.fizz.ca/en/discussion/2624737/cellphone-network-issue-people-cannot-hear-me

That was a year ago. Now I have a Samsung A53 5G. I put the same SIM card in there and everything is fine. Then, AGAIN, out of the blue, after a few days, randomly, people cannot hear for for 10 to 40 seconds and also, sometimes I don't hear the other side.

Is it a problem with my speaker's phone? No because I can play music non-stop.

Is it a problem with my microphone? No because I can record non-stop.

Is it a problem with my SIM card? No because I can put it in my old old phone (an LG G6) and it works just fine.

My new Samsung A53 has a dual SIM slot and I even't put it in the second slot but same problem so it's not a problem of the SIM slot.

Internet is fine. SMS is fine. But phone calls are not fine. I chat with Fizz support and we tried everything. Nothing is working.

1. Using the automatic APN push setting : https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-are-fizz-network-settings-apn
  2. Manually set the APN and Network Operator
  3. Disabled the automatic search network operator and manually select one
  4. Tried the network with 5G/3G/more network, tried without the 5G, tried without the other, tried everything, same issue
  5. Rebooted my phone multiple times for each different configurations

Again, I am downtown Montreal, it is not a coverage issue.

Why would I have so much trouble with Fizz Network's phone everytime I have a new phone? Do they have to do something on their end and they aren't doing it?

Anyone ever had this problem before?

The only thing I haven't tried is putting another SIM card from another phone number in my new phone. That would be a good test but hard to do. Well still know my SIM card is working just fine when it's in my old LG G6 phone. And all in all, it's the same issue with my last phone a year ago which was a phone that was working just fine. I highly doubt the phone is the culprit.

Doesn't look like Fizz knows what to do next.

Any input would be more than appreciated, thanks in advance!

p.s. fizz has a bad habit of closing thread too fast (I have experience), in the case they do, I will make another thread with the same subject

Best Answer

• ah727
    ah727 Posts: 805 ✭✭
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

@Phil24

Maybe you could install Network Signal Info (from PlayStore) to see what's going on. You will see what frequency band you are connected to, signal strength. Compare with the LG. You can also compare using FizzExt.

Also, may be an issue with VoLTE, switch it off. Anyways Fizz has not activated VoLTE yet. .

Good luck

When you solve the issue let us know

Answers

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Andrei_ref_R7VK1 Posts: 6,473 ✭✭
    Options

There is a similar issue with Samsung A53.

This looks like a pattern for this model.

• Phil24
    Phil24 Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Options

Thank you very much for those awesome answers!

First, see the file attached, it's a screenshot of the software Network Signal Info, very good software. It shows that on my old LG G6 which has no problem and my new phone Samsung A53 that both has -107 dBm * 33 ASU, they both show the exact same signal strength. So again, we can rule out a hardware problem. Both are also on LTE * 4G, same LTE band name, same LTE band no., same LTE Earfcn. I don't know much about those numbers but they are the same and each phone exhibit a different behavior. LG G6 = works good and Samsung A53 = drop sounds on both ends randomly.

I checked for VoLTE. This technology passes phone calls over the internet. Not the issue here because my internet is most of the time off on my phone. In any case, by going to Settings / Connections / Mobile Networks, there is nothing there about VoLTE and I saw some screenshots on the internet and if you can have VoLTE, it should be there.

That other thread is really something, same phone as me and he went on to return the phone and got a new one only to find out the same problem is still there. This is why I am not returning my phone. I troubleshooted this long enough to know that there is nothing wrong with it. The problem is with Fizz's network.

I made a really good test today with a friend. He called me with his mobile and we had voice dropping for 5-15 seconds A LOT of times in only 5 minutes. Then I switched ours SIM card in each phone. He is with Videotron and my phone had zero voice dropping. Which again, prooves that Fizz's network on my phone is bad but if I have a Videotron SIM card, everything works perfectly well.

After this, I didn't receive much phone calls but for the few and short I had, everyhing was working fine. It's a random bug. I will report back tomorrow if there is still issue. Hopefully not. I ain't going back to my old phone, it's time to move forward, we have enough information here to know that my phone doesn't have a hardware problem.

This discussion has been closed.