Using Fresh Tomato (Netgear) as access point with Fizz modem

Options
WestIslandDad
WestIslandDad Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited November 2022 in Break Room

I would like to use my Netgear R7000 as an access point. I previously changed firmware on the Netgear to Fresh Tomato.

The internet says I first need to connect Fizz modem to Netgear (internet port) with a LAN wire. And then open a browser and visit the IP address of the Netgear, which the Fizz control panel lists as 192.168.0.10. When I enter this IP, Chrome reports "This site can’t be reached". Since I can't access the Netgear (Fresh Tomato) interface, I can proceed through all the set up steps listed here: https://blog.ostermiller.org/configuring-second-router-wifi-access-point-using-tomato-shibby/

Does anyone have an advice on what I can try next?

Answers

• Olic
    Olic Posts: 819 ✭✭
    Options

Where are you in the steps? If your R7000 is still in router mode and you plug the wan on the Fizz modem, you will not be able to login on the web interface of the R7000... It's like if you are coming from the Internet, through the wan port...

You will have to connect a computer on the LAN side of the R7000, do all the configurations (disable DHCP server...), then, you will be able to use it as an AP...

• humonculi
    humonculi Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Options

What I would do is:

1- Disconnect the R7000 from the Fizz Modem/ Router.

2- Plug in a lan cable from your laptop computer to the R7000 (not in the WAN = yellow) make sure it's in port 1,2,3 or 4.

3- disconnect from your network ( fizz).

4 - Go to the router's IP (The default IP address for a Tomato router is 192.168. 1.1)

5- Change the settings to AP.

6- Plug it back in to your Fizz modem/router ( It will be assigned an ip address)

7-Go to that IP address and you should be able to access it.