USA - travel add on - making calls

Options
Cheffern
Cheffern Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited September 2022 in My Mobile

Hello,

The Canada+USA plan no longer includes calls or texts in the USA. I understand that. However, when I search travel add ons on the Fizz website, it states that there is pay as you go for the USA (25 cents per minute for calls). But then in discussion forums I see people saying there is no ability to make calls without complicated switching to 2G.

Can someone from Fizz or authorized to speak for them please confirm that I can make calls while in the USA at a rate of 25 cents per minute, so long as there are funds in my wallet? I need a clear answer on this please.

Best Answer

• Olic
    Olic Posts: 819 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The problem that prevents calling from the United States is technical. It's the shutdown of the 3g networks there that causes this interruption. Whether you go with a Canada-USA plan or with a pay-per-use, it won't change anything.

Calls won't work except using tricks... like 2g...

Answers

• Mamie
    Mamie Posts: 1,784 ✭✭
    Options

Juste to complete information above:

"Here are a few options to make and receive voice or video calls and send and receive text messages: WhatsApp, Google Duo, Facetime and Messenger. 

These apps use data and do not require voice coverage." https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-do-some-calls-and-texts-when-us-not-work

• ah727
    ah727 Posts: 807 ✭✭
    Options

@Mamie

Right on! But I don't think you need to purchase calling minutes. Just buy data, or the Canada + USA plan. From what was before, the cost of this plan has been reduced so if calls work, they will be free.

However Fizz has to confirm if minutes will be needed once VoLTE is launched.

• Cheffern
    Cheffern Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks everyone for your comments!

This discussion has been closed.