Calls from within US

Options
RES2
RES2 Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited August 2022 in My Mobile

Have Cda/US plan, currently in US, have AT&T signal, can not make calls. Any solutions?

Answers

• PF_Ref_D2U9A
    PF_Ref_D2U9A Posts: 5,761 ✭✭
    Options

Hi

You can try connecting the another Fizz EXT network. Some customers have reported that T-Mobile still supports 2G and is working with Fizz mobile.

• PF_Ref_D2U9A
    PF_Ref_D2U9A Posts: 5,761 ✭✭
    Options

Do know that Fizz officially says that calls and texts while you are in the US are not supported with Fizz mobile.

Please be advised. As of July 2022, only the LTE data network will be available in the United States. You will not be able to make or receive calls and text messages. 

Data coverage will not be affected. 

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-do-some-calls-and-texts-when-us-not-work

For USA, the 3G component has been removed, so you will not be able to make/receive calls or send/receive SMS, but you can try switching your phone to 2G network mode as these calls work in some areas of the USA.

Some customers have reported that calls/texts are still functional while they are in the US. So it does appear to be working in some areas like where 2G or 3G network remain available.

As for coverage, the mobile data continues to work in the United States.

• Fling
    Fling Posts: 8,730 ✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi Ron

Fizz said that a few weeks ago

Be advised. As of July 2022, only the LTE data network will be available in the United States. You will not be able to make or receive calls and text messages. Learn more

source https://fizz.ca/en/coverage

• RES2
    Options

Hi,

Thanks to all responders. I copied the "LTE data only" advisory, but wasn't sure whether that meant all other carriers were likewise call/text disabled. I guess the word of the day for Cda AND US plan holders is hooped!

Thanks again to community supporters.

R

• ah727
    ah727 Posts: 805 ✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options

@Ron S. #30629

Try connecting to T-Mobile. Make sure you accept 2G GSM and 3G WCDMA along with 4G LTE .

Go to SETTINGS>>CONNECTIONS>>MOBILE NETWORKS>>NETWORK MODE

• RES2
    Options

Hi ah727,

Your suggestion was indeed a solution! Thank you.

The go to instructions were not entirely accurate and are likely device dependant, but sufficiently instructive to lead to a fix.

On a Moto G5 the go to is SETTINGS >> NETWORK AND INTERNET>> MOBILE NETWORK>> under Network: 1. Deselect "Automatically select network" and 2. Select "T-Mobile" once device has completed search of available networks, then >>PREFERRED NETWORK TYPES select "2G"

Thanks again ah727,

R

• ah727
    Options

@Ron S. #30629

Thank you very much for this update. I have a Samsung phone, but I am aware every phone manufacturer has it's own menu with slight differences. I'm happy you are supplying more manufacturer relevant information. It will definitely help more people enjoy their travel holidays.

• ah727
    Options

@Ron S. #30629

Another good thing to know: after your call, you may unfortunately remain on T-Mobile's 2G network. This means data will be through 2G EDGE data network, which is very slow. If you see your data is slow, toggling airplane mode on and off (leave 20 seconds) will refresh your network, and you will get back to T-Mobile's 4G LTE network.

• RES2
    Options

Hi ah727,

Good to know. I am still operating on T-Mobile 2G, but haven't observed significant data slowdowns. Will keep it in mind.

Thanks,

RES2

• ah727
    edited August 2022
    Options

@RES2

And sorry I called you @Ron S. #30629...must have been pasted from a prior post.

And hope your calls are still working OK.