As of July 2022, only the LTE data network will be available in the United States.

uzedia
uzedia Posts: 1,185 ✭✭
edited July 2022 in My Mobile

I was going to sign up for Fizz this morning because I was planning to use it for calls and texts in the US as well. However, I don't understand the message that only the LTE data network will be available in the United States and you will not be able to make or receive calls and text messages. Will I be affected when travelling in the States? Will I only be able to make calls and send texts using WhatsUp now? I have a Moto Hyper One phone and the Fizz Sim card I bought has a red lightning symbol). Thank you!

Best Answer

• Ihssan
    Ihssan Posts: 279 ✭✭
    edited July 2022 Answer ✓

Having a voLTE sim card only means your phone/service will keep working once the 3g network disappears.

It has nothing to do with the fact that no phone calls or text msg are possible while roaming on a usa network.

See here https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-do-some-calls-and-texts-when-us-not-work no reason was given as to why the change (the customers are not worthy enough to share the information with, i suppose!).

A guy here in the forum the other day was saying that he still van make calls and send text msg in the US on at&t network or some other provider.

Don't mind the first answer it's just a bot who postes pages from the FAQ as an answer like this one https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-volte-important

Answers

• Dapfizzer
    Dapfizzer Posts: 10,182 ✭✭

@uzedia

Hi,

our current 3G network relies on older technology and will start to disappear to make room for more advanced networks. As a result, mobile services associated with 3G SIM cards will eventually no longer work.

We’ve been preparing our evolved network for a while to make sure we can continue offering quality mobile services. We are working hard to make sure the transition is as smooth as possible for our members.

What is VoLTE

VoLTE stands for Voice over LTE network, which basically means a phone call will use the LTE network.  

But what’s LTE you ask?  

Great question. LTE stands for Long Term Evolution. It’s basically an evolution of the norms for mobile services.  

The advantages of VoLTE

Using a VoLTE compatible SIM card with your Fizz mobile plan means you'll be ahead of the game and ready for VoLTE when it becomes available on Fizz's network.  

You’re already using our ultrafast and vast LTE network when you use data with your mobile plan. The opportunity to use the LTE network for your calls means:   

• Improved sound quality for your calls.   
    • Faster routing of your calls, meaning the delay for the phone to ring at the other end will be shorter. 
    Your VoLTE compatible SIM card

Your SIM card connects your phone to the Fizz network now 3G and going to LTE. A VoLTE compatible SIM card is therefore required to stay ahead of the game. This SIM card shows a red lightning bolt icon. 

Good to know: 

• Any member who orders a SIM card today is ok. Their SIM card is already compatible with VoLTE. 
    • Same applies for a Fizz SIM card that was ordered after the month of September 2021. 

For the other mobile members who currently have a 3G SIM card, Fizz will make sure that each of them gets a FREE VoLTE compatible SIM card. 

> Each of these members will receive an invitation to order their free SIM card. This process will take place over several weeks, so don’t worry if you’re not part of the first batch. 

> Once ordered, your new SIM card will arrive by regular mail within two weeks, along with the instructions to associate it with your Fizz mobile plan. Changing your SIM card for a VoLTE compatible one will not impact your plan or phone number. 

How to make a SIM card change 

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-volte-important

• LeeL
    LeeL Posts: 18 ✭✭

@uzedia thank you for clarifying …..bottom line: if I have a SIM purchased after Sep 2021, are you saying my (iPhone XR) WILL work in the US once all the changes happen (ie now?)

• uzedia
    uzedia Posts: 1,185 ✭✭

My question as well. So calls and texts will work normally as of now?

• Seani
    Seani Posts: 28 ✭✭

Yes it will work from below

• Any member who orders a SIM card today is ok. Their SIM card is already compatible with VoLTE. 
    • Same applies for a Fizz SIM card that was ordered after the month of September 2021. 

This discussion has been closed.