Is Fizz stopping all text and call service in the U.S.A? With a couple hours warning?!

Options
FizzStoppingUSA
FizzStoppingUSA Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited July 2022 in My Mobile

Recently got an email from Fizz saying this, it's posted on their website here: (https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-do-some-calls-and-texts-when-us-not-work)

How is it even remotely responsible for them to send an email announcing this less than 24 hours before July 2022. The amount of disruption this will cause for people, not to mention for services like multi-factor authentication required by many institutions, is beyond acceptable. I cannot even find this announcement on their Official Announcements Board.

Fix it, Fizz.

No calls or texts possible.
  1. Be advised. As of July 2022, only the LTE data network will be available in the United States. You will not be able to make or receive calls and text messages. 
  3. Data coverage will not be affected. 
Stay in touch without voice coverage.

Here are a few options to make and receive voice or video calls and send and receive text messages: WhatsApp, Google Duo, Facetime and Messenger. 

These apps use data and do not require voice coverage.

Best Answer

• Dapfizzer
    Dapfizzer Posts: 10,182 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@FizzStoppingUSA

Our current 3G network relies on older technology and will start to disappear to make room for more advanced networks. As a result, mobile services associated with 3G SIM cards will eventually no longer work.

We’ve been preparing our evolved network for a while to make sure we can continue offering quality mobile services. We are working hard to make sure the transition is as smooth as possible for our members.

What is VoLTE

VoLTE stands for Voice over LTE network, which basically means a phone call will use the LTE network.  

But what’s LTE you ask?  

Great question. LTE stands for Long Term Evolution. It’s basically an evolution of the norms for mobile services.  

The advantages of VoLTE

*Using a VoLTE compatible SIM card with your Fizz mobile plan means you'll be ahead of the game and ready for VoLTE when it becomes available on Fizz's network.  

You’re already using our ultrafast and vast LTE network when you use data with your mobile plan. The opportunity to use the LTE network for your calls means:   

• Improved sound quality for your calls.   
    • Faster routing of your calls, meaning the delay for the phone to ring at the other end will be shorter. 
    Your VoLTE compatible SIM card

Your SIM card connects your phone to the Fizz network now 3G and going to LTE. A VoLTE compatible SIM card is therefore required to stay ahead of the game. This SIM card shows a red lightning bolt icon. 

Good to know: 

• Any member who orders a SIM card today is ok. Their SIM card is already compatible with VoLTE. 
    • Same applies for a Fizz SIM card that was ordered after the month of September 2021. 

For the other mobile members who currently have a 3G SIM card, Fizz will make sure that each of them gets a FREE VoLTE compatible SIM card. 

> Each of these members will receive an invitation to order their free SIM card. This process will take place over several weeks, so don’t worry if you’re not part of the first batch. 

> Once ordered, your new SIM card will arrive by regular mail within two weeks, along with the instructions to associate it with your Fizz mobile plan. Changing your SIM card for a VoLTE compatible one will not impact your plan or phone number. 

How to make a SIM card change 

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-volte-important

Answers

• Dapfizzer
    Dapfizzer Posts: 10,182 ✭✭
    Options

@FizzStoppingUSA

Here's how to directly contact Fizz’s customer service team for any question about the services in this situation. You can do it by opening the following link: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/status-services and simply scroll down until you see the green bubble, than click on it to start your chat session with the customer service.

If the chat bubble still does not appear at the bottom of the page, on the right, after a few seconds, the number of pending sessions is higher than the service’s processing capacity. At that time, you can leave a message on the other proposed communication channels:

-By private message on Facebook/Messenger: https://facebook.com/fizzca.

-By private message on Twitter : https://mobile.twitter.com/fizz_ca

-Whatsapp : (438) 393-5814

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭
    Options

@FizzStoppingUSA

You are right.

This is a breach of service, from their service agreement, they stated that any change must be sent to us 30 days in advance.

It is more than a years that the news was out regarding 3G in USA and that only VoLTE will be supported, the initial shutdown was planned for March 2022 and pushed to July. Fizz is waking up a bit late

• FizzStoppingUSA
    Options

Nice to know I'm not the only taken aback by this! Flagrant violation of the terms of service as well as clear cut corproate apathy for Fizz's customers, betrays their whole 'laid-back-we're-in-this-together' message.

So unless I have a Sim card with a red lightning bolt on it, I won't be able to make calls in the USA. If I do have a SIM card, I'll be able to make calls, they'll just be over VoLTE?

Where does that leave text messages? Why is text servicing being stopped?

• Jess_i88b6
    Options

Hi @FizzStoppingUSA

I believe that Fizz will not support the VoLTE in the states, they are supposing to working on it

• FizzStoppingUSA
    Options

This is insane, is there no one from Fizz who can answer these kind of pressing questions? Considering the disruption on the horizon for a lot of people.

• Justine Gehring
    Justine Gehring Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options

1 day warning is unimaginable. They've had a year minimum to prep for this change, and they have the guts to say this is out of their control and their partner's fault. No financial compensation, not even a sorry.

• unnomdutili
    unnomdutili Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I still don't really understand what is happening. This means I wont be able to receive calls from the US tomorrow, even if I have the US/Canada coverage plan and I am in Canada?? I also don't understand the VoLTE thing, if I have the right SIM card does this mean I am not affected? Can someone at FIZZ not answer this? I will absolutely have to cancel my plan tomorrow if this is going to happen: US calling is essential for me. Even if I had to pay extra...

• Jess_i88b6
    Options

@unnomdutili

You can receive call from all over the world, if you are in Canada, without problem

For the VoLTE enable SIM, they never said that it will work

• unnomdutili
    unnomdutili Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

So I will keep being able to call and receive texts from the United States while in Canada tomorrow?

• Jess_i88b6
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hi @unnomdutili

To call to the USA I cannot confirm, but I think that you will be able, but to receiving calls or text without problem ( you can receive calls and text from all the world, and you can send SMS when you will are in Canada)

• Fac
    Fac Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

So? If i have a red lighning on my sim card? I will:

-be able to use date only in us

or

-i will be able to call, text and data?

not really clean at a fews hours of july 1st!!!

thanks

• FizzStoppingUSA
    Options

I spoke with Fizz earlier this afternoon. Even if you have the VoLTE sim card (the one with the red bolt) you will not be able to send or recieve text messages anymore. Period. If you have the VoLTE sim card, you will be able to call and recieve calls while in the U.S. to and from Canada and vis-versa. Again, if you are in the U.S. and on Fizz network, you will not be able to receive or send text messages. This was the answer I got from customer support.

• Malay
    Malay Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options

This is truly unacceptable. In the chat, there is hardly any willingness to try to make something fair. I was told to just change coverage to Canada. They didn’t know about this till today. Guess Fizz must be really out of touch with their “partners” or they do not care for their customers. They didn’t even try to give me the different sim. They said that they would do it when that’s available. This is not acceptable.

• Elizabeth H. #13418
    Elizabeth H. #13418 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

This is unacceptable as i receive that e-mail today. Luckily i was not travelling….

Fizz should at least have send the new sim card a long time ago as i still have the old one.

Not all people use WhatsApp, Google Duo, Facetime and Messenger to make call

We’re gonna be stuck with a useless plan and use even more data now with those app, since good old phone call wasn’t taking any data

It’s unbelievable to be charge for this and if we change plan we’re gonna be stuck with a plan that cost us more than what we pay right now

• EricPD
    EricPD Posts: 152 ✭✭
    Options

Fizz postponed for too long the transition to VoLTE on its own network. Now, they are caught pants down because they don’t have the required infrastructure in production on their side to be able to support roaming on LTE only network.

• AlexB
    AlexB Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Options

There are users on Reddit reporting today that VoLTE and SMS both work in the US.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FizzMobile/comments/vod2fr/fizz_stopping_all_usa_text_and_voice_coverage/

• magic_channel
    magic_channel Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Options

If data works ill do call diverts to my 2nd number.....fongo/text now. But for sms no backup plan

• Jess_i88b6
    Options

@AlexB

If this is true, I don't see why is not. This is a very bad from Fizz point of view, they not even know what they are saying 😪

• ah727
    ah727 Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Options

@unnomdutili

I think no one can tell for sure, not even Bell with their Lucky, Virgin, or PC users. The US providers are undergoing radical changes in their mobile networking. I think what Fizz is doing is alerting its users that they could run into problems.

I use the CANADA + USA plan, and will continue to use it since it's the best deal on the market. I was in north eastern USA 2 weeks ago, and good mobile service WAS STILL AVAILABLE, for data and for calls. Roaming mobile services have never been perfect in the past years, so with the current disturbances in the US mobile system, I don't expect the service will be better. I will continue to monitor as things evolve.No change for me now.

This discussion has been closed.