Internet abroad

Options
Alexander Y.
Alexander Y. Posts: 288 ✭✭
edited May 2022 in My Mobile

So, the situation is:

I have Fizz line without data (only calls and messages)

Im going for a vacation abroad and I want to have data while abroad.

I know that I can buy an add-on for data roaming for abroad.

Question: will the internet from add-on work abroad even if I don’t have data in my line?

Best Answer

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Alexander Y.

Yes it will work, remember to enable the data roaming on your phone

You don't need data to add an addon

Answers

• Alexander Y.
    Alexander Y. Posts: 288 ✭✭
    Options

Great, thanks.

what about receiving calls - should I add another add on?

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Options

Hi @Alexander Y.

At the moment is not possible

Important : You will not be able to make calls while roaming outside your Canada or the United States.

Roaming calls (incoming or outgoing) will be available at a later time. We will update this FAQ when we have a firm date.

In the meantime, you will be able to use data, and send/receive texts when you travel outside your coverage zone. To make and receive calls, you can use messaging apps such as WhatsApp or Messenger.

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/im-travelling-outside-my-coverage-zone-what-are-my-roaming-options

When I am outside the country, I am using Fongo or TextNow (please install the app before leaving, in some country you need to pay in order to install the app) with this app I can use a WiFi or the data, and you will get a phone number, therefore, you can also receive calls.

• Clive_ref_code_73TF9
    Clive_ref_code_73TF9 Posts: 545 ✭✭
    Options

Hello @Alexander Y. , to use your Fizz phone number while traveling outside of QC (or Canada or Canada + USA according to your regular plan), you will need to purchase a travel add-on, and as another pointed out you need to enable roaming for calls and data on your device and may need to manually select a mobile network in the foreign country). Another option as someone mentioned is to buy a data add-on and install a calling app on your device or install the same app and use on any public WIFI. Note public WIFI is not as secure as your home/work WIFI. Safe travels.

This discussion has been closed.