3G is shutting down, How could us making a phone call then?

Jaquesdoo
Jaquesdoo Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited January 2022 in My Mobile

Good Morning everyone,

I have read the news that 3G is shutting down on AT&T and T-Mobile this year in the States. Fizz is partnered with them for US coverage. If the 3G there shuts down, How could us make a phone call when we travel to the States? ;)

Best Answer

• Luke_Skywalker
    Luke_Skywalker Posts: 409 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

According to the FCC, mobile providers will phase out their 3G networks as early as Jan. 1, 2022. T-Mobile will shut down Sprint’s 3G network on Jan. 1, 2022, AT&T will shut down its 3G network by February 2022, T-Mobile will then shut down its own 3G network on July 1, 2022, and Verizon will shut down its 3G network by Dec. 31, 2022. The FCC adds that many other carriers use the Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile networks, so customers of other providers may be affected.

The FCC says this means many older cell phones will be unable to send texts, make or receive calls or use data services, and will have no access to 911. This will affect 3G phones as well as “certain older 4G mobile phones that do not support Voice over LTE (VoLTE or HD Voice).”

Anyway 3G was a bit of a disappointment, it as been phased out because it has less spectra efficiency than 4G or 5G. The spectral efficiency in the real world for 3G was not as high as engineers were expecting when the system was first designed.

Here's a non-exaustive list of phones that will continue to work after 3G shuts down :

Some phone are not there, like my phone the Alcatel Idol 4S, but it will work.

For Canada, 3G phase out is predicted for the end of 2025 for Bell, Rogers and Telus network 🤗

Answers

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭

3G is shutting down (and pretty soon), but Tmobile (and Sprint since they merged) and ATT both have 4G LTE/HSPA networks. So unless your existing phone does NOT support 4G (which would be really old), I am assuming that Fizz/Videotron will have agreements in place already for using the 4G networks of both partners.

-As of March 31, 2022 Sprint’s older 3G (CDMA) network will be retired

-As of June 30, 2022 Sprint’s LTE network will be retired

-As of July 1, 2022 T-Mobile’s older 3G UMTS network will be retired

I know that Tmobile (ATT not as big) also has a huge 5G presence in the US. Obviously phone needs to support 5G, but since Fizz does not support 5G yet, not sure they would have any agreements for 5G network sharing.

Oddly enough the Tmobile older 2G (GSM) network is not being shutdown yet, and no official date set for that.

------

You can also try contacting customer service and see what they say regarding the subject (assuming they have more news).

Fizz Customer service agents are only available online.

• Sign into your account
    • Follow the link on this page: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/status-services or https://fizz.ca/fr/faq/etat-services
    • Wait 3 seconds for the green bubble with a '?' appears at the bottom right of the browser, if you use a phone you must use it in desktop or horizontal mode
    • Choose the option 💬 chat
    • If the green bubble does not appear make sure your ad blocker is disabled, otherwise try with another browser.

PS: For me the only combination that works for CHAT, is Firefox, in a private window, and only when in the French language..

Other means of contact

CHAT however is the quickest method, but facebook is the easiest.

• Hello @Jaquesdoo, Fizz will still work on 4G/LTE partner networks in the US.

• EricPD
    EricPD Posts: 152 ✭✭

Can a fizz phone use VoLTE when roaming on US networks?

• Ikonography
    Ikonography Posts: 5 ✭✭

Since VoLTE doesn’t seem to work in rural Quebec when certain new Bell towers are available (I have an outstanding ticket with fizz since the summer of 2021), it would be interesting to see how the roaming works in the USA. Hard to test with a pandemic still raging and with the shutdown of 3G not quite on yet.

• Bmtl
    Bmtl Posts: 4 ✭✭

hi I can tell you roaming in the us with fizz is great it switches between T-Mobile and AT&T the reception is flawless and seems less. Enjoy !!

Cheers

This discussion has been closed.